The Alexa Communications team’s mission is to bring people closer together by enabling customers to use their Alexa devices for convenient, natural, and expressive conversations with family and friends.
Are you someone who's comfortable wearing many hats? Do you obsess about data, metrics, and scalability? Do you enjoy leveraging technology to automate daily operational activities? If so, we're looking for you!
As a member of the Alexa Comms Ops team, you will act as a subject matter expert in systems availability, monitoring, and performance optimization. You will work directly with our development teams to identify and resolve primary causes of service impacting issues and implement mitigation to common failure scenarios. You will become intimate with the architecture of our systems, support software rollouts, build internal tools, and exemplify operational excellence.
This is a great opportunity to join 's world-class technical team, working with really smart and self-driven engineers. You will be a major contributor in providing a better customer to millions of users worldwide.
As a Sr. Operations Support Engineer, your key responsibilities will include:
· Learn and use groundbreaking technologies.
· Apply advanced troubleshooting/debugging techniques to root cause incoming tickets.
· Drive projects that improve support-related processes and automated incident resolution.
· Develop internal tools, primarily in Ruby or Java.
· Analyze service architecture, metrics/thresholds, and make recommendations to maximize system performance.
· Mentor junior engineers and drive operational excellence initiatives across the Alexa organization.
· Balance support/ops requests with software development or systems engineering work while still having fun.
· Experience in a 24/7-production environment is a plus.
· Broad understanding of monitoring concepts and tools.
· Exceptional ability to work anywhere in the technical stack, delivering quality code on the frontend and backend.
· Must be able to see opportunities for improvement, take ownership and closely work with development team to drive enhancements.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us
· B.S. in Computer Science or a related technical field.
· 5+ years overall in development/networking/sys admin/application support.
· Scripting or programming in Ruby, Python, Java, C/C++, C#, Perl, or other languages.
· 2+ years in networking (DNS, TCP/IP, SSL, DHCP, Load Balancing), web services (SOAP, XML), and UNIX fundamentals.
· 2+ years writing intermediate level database queries.