At Amazon, we are obsessed with customer trust. Information Security enables Amazon business leaders to securely develop and operate to maintain Customer Trust by guarding the confidentiality and integrity of Amazon and customer data. We assess risk, classify data and systems, detect potential intrusion, and render useless the value of data that may be leaked.
Our teams span over 10 countries worldwide, and our focus areas include: security intelligence, application security, incident response, security operations, risk and compliance, acquisitions and subsidiaries, and external partner security. Our mission includes instilling awareness to safeguard all customer and employee data, applications, services, and assets. To accomplish this, we unite with Amazon organizations to build security best practices into enterprise-wide systems. Our guidance and leadership equip our partners to maintain high security standards. This team dives deep into security technologies and continuously raises the security bar across Amazon’s Consumer, Digital and Other (CDO) by tackling complex engineering problems that require widespread support and multi-year execution plans.
Amazon.com is looking for a Senior Security Engineer to focus on new strategic information security projects. As a Security Engineer at Amazon, you will help establish technical standards and drive Amazon’s overall technical architecture and engineering practices. You’ll work on Amazon’s hardest problems, building high quality, architecturally sound systems that are aligned with our business needs. You’ll think globally when building systems, ensuring Amazon builds high performing, scalable, and secure systems that fit well together. Amazon Security Engineers translate business needs into workable technology solutions. Your expertise is deep and broad; you are hands on, producing both detailed technical work and high-level architectural designs.
Amazon’s CDO organization includes a variety of large and growing businesses. It is inclusive of the Consumer Web site, the fulfillment centers, TV and Movie Studios, Prime Video, Devices (Alexa, Kindle, FireTV), IMDB, Zappos, Whole Foods, and many other business. This role will be a direct report to the InfoSec Director leading new strategic initiatives. It will provide opportunities to think big, be customer obsessed, and to partner with business teams across Amazon.com. We dive deep into security technologies such as new identity and authentication systems, hardware security components, cryptography, system hardening, and massive-scale audit analysis. The objective of this program is to define the innovative preventative, detective, and monitoring mechanisms to enable security at scale. In this role, you will discover, define, and solve challenging problems across multiple teams and locations.
A Security Engineer at Amazon is expected to be strong in multiple domains and provide contributions to the Amazon Service teams, infrastructure teams and administrative teams. Security engineers are expected to develop elegant solutions to complex business problems and apply appropriate technologies while following security engineering best practices. You are also expected to mentor more junior engineers and be a security thought leader for the organization.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
· Have a clear understanding of cloud computing services/deployment architecture
· Demonstrate innovative security approaches in non-traditional IT environments
· Have experience generating automated to measure service and effectiveness and consistency
· Have excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences
· Have experience in the development of security products
· Demonstrable teamwork skills and resourcefulness
· Possess self-drive to keep moving things forward even in the face of ambiguity and imperfect knowledge (avoid “analysis paralysis”)
· Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
· Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
· Experience defining cyber-secure architectures, design and development of asynchronous messaging platforms
· Knowledge of networking protocols and their implementations
· Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, asynchronous architectures and distributed algorithms
· Deep understanding of system performance tradeoffs, load balancing, and engineering for high availability
· Masters or PhD in Computer Science or Computer Security
· Bachelor’s degree in Information Security, Computer Science, Risk Management, Engineering, Math, Statistics or related discipline, or additional equivalent technology experience
· 6 + years of experience in identifying security issues and risks, and developing mitigation plans
· 4+ years of experience in network, system, or software architecture; design, implementation, support, and evaluation of security-focused tools and services
· 4+ years of scripting or programming experience in Ruby, , Shell/BASH scripting, Java, C/C++, C*, Perl, or other languages
· 2+ years of experience in one or more of the following areas: identity and access management, , web and network protocols, data structures and algorithms, software development, threat modelling, pen tests, or vulnerability assessments
· Proven track record of leading the delivery and operations of large-scale, mission-critical distributed systems
· Deep hands-on technical expertise in Cyber Security and at least one relevant technical area: large scale systems engineering, queuing and messaging, Linux networking, performance analysis, software-defined networking, etc.
· Experience managing complex projects, with significant bottom-line impact
· Experience playing a visionary technical leadership role within a large organization