We're Book Depository; an Amazon subsidiary offering our customers a selection of over 20M books, with free shipping to over 170 countries. We're seeking a talented individual to pioneer and optimise automation at our fulfilment centre in Gloucester, UK; the heart of our unique and complex global supply chain. Book Depository benefits from a lean and agile operation that's been 12 years in the making, however, this operation still has plenty of scope to grow and improve and we're taking our first steps towards automation. This is your chance to make history with us!
You will ensure that Safety comes first in all Facilities efforts. This position will be responsible for troubleshooting, design/implement/document control solutions for material handling systems, act as a liaison for internal and external resources. This position will also provide proper training to the facility technicians on device troubleshooting and preventive maintenance. The position requires strong project management skills, effective communication skills, being self-directed, and the ability to multi-task and deliver results in a dynamic environment. The following role and responsibilities are required for a successful Automation Engineer:
· Prepare specifications and technical detail to fully define performance on equipment, material and services.
· Perform PLC control level issue diagnosis and problem solve PLC code and complex fieldbus IO and SCADA systems.
· Ensure that all proposed changes are documented and controlled using the established change management process, keeping the documentation updated.
· Capable of following, understanding and developing improvement strategies within PLC ladder code.
· Experienced and familiar with Siemens and/or Allen Bradley PLC controlled automation in a continuous process or production environment.
· Provide detailed analysis and testing of existing and new engineering solutions and components.
· Work with IT, EU Controls Engineering and Operations Engineering to develop and update controls knowledge and training document for the Facilities Engineering team.
· Be responsible for incident follow-up, root cause analysis and documentation.
· Undertake industrial engineering design and improvement projects on existing material handling modules. Provide technical documentation such as flow diagrams, conveyor and equipment layouts, installation details, schedules and budgets.
· Support commissioning of new automation elements.
· Provide value engineering/ value analysis.
· Ensures adherence to all Health & Safety procedures. Be proactive in the raising of potential H&S issues and the development of personal safety awareness.
· Use AutoCAD to review, develop and maintain electrical schematic and conveyor layout drawings.
· Fully understand and ensure procedural adherence to industry operating standards such as QS 9000, ISO 9002, ISO 14001 and LAPS.
About our rewards:
We expect you to go the extra mile, but we'll also make sure you're well rewarded. As well as a competitive salary and stock units, we offer a whole host of other benefits, including an Amazon employee discount.
There are other, more intangible rewards too. Like our commitment to your development, a refreshing lack of hierarchy, the opportunity to build the success story of an Amazon subsidiary, the chance to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry, plenty of team spirit and an informal atmosphere.
The standard stuff:
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
By submitting your resume and application information, you authorize Amazon to transmit and store your information in the Amazon group of companies' world-wide recruitment database, and to circulate that information as necessary for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for this or other job vacancies.
Ideal candidate profile
· Degree or NVQ4 in a relevant Engineering discipline or served a full engineering indentured apprenticeship.
· Ability to troubleshoot Siemens based PLC Control Systems.
· At least 3-years experience working with Siemens S7 or TIA.
· Control system working experience in PLC based controls design, development, implementation and support.
· Experience either building, commissioning or problem solving Electrical Controls and Instrumentation Panels.
· Ability to understand integrated MHE conveyor systems within the FC and the systems that interact outside of the FC.
· Understanding of Industrial communication protocols like ProfiBus, ProfiNet, Ethernet IP, and demonstrable ability to problem solve those systems.
· Ability to analyse metrics and data and identify system and machine optimization opportunities.
· Microsoft Office, SolidWorks or Visio or AutoCAD work experience on control layout design and schematic.
· Experience in dealing with material handling, flow and capacity.
· Project management, organization and problem solving skills with a drive for results and the ability to handle multiple tasks.
· Strong analytical skills.
· A team player who is willing to roll up the sleeves.
· Open and proactive communication in a multi lingual environment.
· Ability to operate in open organization structure.
· Self-motivated and customer-centric.
· Experience with MS Outlook and MS Excel.
· Knowledge of Six Sigma, analytical and process improvement techniques.
· Fluent in English to an advanced level.