We're looking for a proficient 3D Technical Artist who is able to understand technical problems the artist team may face from an artistic perspective, while working directly with all levels of 3D artists and programmers. The technical artist may be responsible for training artists in new production techniques and must ensure that those methods are scalable and compatible with all existing platforms for e-commerce. The 3D Technical Artist will be accomplished in working in production environments as well as having a strong knowledge of current rendering and lighting techniques, and be able to impact exciting and innovative experiences in 3D. The ability to work within and across large, interdependent teams is a must, so the right person will have an implicit understanding of the balance needed between artistry, technical development, communication, and partnership. The ideal candidate will have experience automating workflow, creating plugins and apps, working with shaders, and will be able to work closely with the developer team to create innovative processes to implement in the 3D studio. The right candidate will be comfortable leading a team in a collaborative environment, working directly with technical program managers who will be building new tools and workflows, and consistently raising the bar on quality.
· Maintain consistently high standards for accuracy, aesthetics, and productivity
· Continuously improve workflows and processes, providing impact milestones and metrics.
· Ability to coach/train other artists on the production floor with the ability to influence remotely
· Lead efforts in creating best practices, identify process improvements and operational waste reduction
· Custom tool creation for modeling in MAYA
· Knowledge in MEL scripting
· Be able to excel in a fast-paced collaborative production environment
· Innovative and self-directed
· Experience working in a photo realistic production environment working across an array of clients including e-commerce
· Experience automating steps in creating a 3D model from as little as one 2D image
· Experience automating workflow and building apps and plugins for Maya
· Experience/knowledge with product photography and lighting
· Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal)
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Ideal candidate profile
· 3-7 years of professional experience working in a fast-paced 3D production environment
· Must be able to show technical proficiency across lighting and rendering, texturing, and graphics-related programming languages such as shaders and python
· Must be able to think creatively to resolve technical challenges and limitations
· Must be well versed in Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter, Photoshop and other relevant software
· Proficiency in python · Thorough understanding of PBR rendering
· Excellent communications, presentation and interpersonal skills
· Experience in building tools to make modeling and texturing process more efficient
· Ability to create plugins or apps that span multiple modeling and texturing programs.