We are looking for PhD students to join Amazon Search in Berlin for a 3-6 month internship in 2020.
Hundreds of millions of customers. Billions of queries per year and dollars in revenue. The scale and impact of Amazon search is huge and we need passionate, talented, and inventive scientists to realize the future of product search worldwide.
The Search Customer Experience team is responsible for worldwide customer facing search features including everything from the moment a customer clicks into the search box to when they view search results. We develop and deploy machine learning methods to build smarter and more personalized experiences for our customers. Our work draws upon a wide range of disciplines including, but not limited to, information retrieval, natural language processing, reinforcement learning, deep learning, data management, and ML systems design.
You will be a full member of the Amazon Search team working with other scientists and software development engineers on completing a self-contained internship project. Specific challenges will be dealing with very large heterogenous datasets, designing novel algorithms that are robust and reliable, and efficient implementations that can run in production. We encourage publication of your results at top-tier conferences and open-sourcing code developed during the internship.
Ideal candidate profile
· On-track for PhD degree in Machine Learning, Data Science, Information Retrieval, or in a related field.
· Hands-on experience in one or more of the following areas: information retrieval, natural language processing, reinforcement learning, deep learning, data management, and ML systems design.
· Enthusiasm for applying machine learning to real-world problems.
· Computer science grounding in a range of algorithms, data structures, and programming languages; experience in Python is a plus.
· Ability to present your ideas clearly and compellingly in both verbal and written form.