Are you ready for the next step in your career? Then you need to keep reading!
When we’re looking to hire at Amadeus, we look internally first. Our teams get the benefit of your experience and you get more chances to grow and progress. So, if you are ready for a new challenge and want to
drive your career, apply now!
Software Development Engineer - DCS Customer Servicing
Flying is easy, isn't it? You are used to catching planes to fly all around the world. Check in, print your boarding passes, drop your bags, go through the security, then board the plane... it's no rocket science.
Is it really that simple? Do you really know how it works behind the scenes? How does the airline make sure you paid what you owed before letting you on-board, how do they know you will make it on-time when they let you check-in, if the country where you land will let you go through? How do they know for sure who has boarded and who has not? When the flight is overbooked, how do they decide who gets accepted, who should be proposed money to volunteer to take the next one, and who will not be accepted at all?
This is a very complex business, always changing, where any mistake can severely damage the airline reputation and business, and where all airlines have their set of specificities that we need to accommodate.
We are managing the world leading airline Passenger Servicing System - a system that provides check-in and boarding services to approximately 125 airlines and 1 billion passengers each year.
We are looking for passionate, skilled C++ Software Engineers to join our Departure Control System center of excellence at Heathrow.
You will be working in a mixed team of Business Analysts, Developers and QA, in charge of core components of the Altéa Departure Control System, in the areas of Revenue Integrity and Ancillary Services sales.
In an industry known for its tight margins, airlines see ancillary services sales as a vital way to increase their revenues, and are more and more using advanced merchandising techniques to improve their sales. The team is involved several company initiatives in these areas, working in partnership with other divisions and sites to integrate ancillary sales capabilities and merchandising techniques at the DCS touch point.
You will work in close collaboration with Business Analysts and QA during the different phases of a project, using either a Waterfall or Agile (Scrum) approach depending on the profile of the client and the project.
As a Software Development Engineer, you will be accountable for the technical design and delivery of the product functionalities based on the solutions agreed with the stakeholders (Business Analysts, Product Managers, and the customer themselves), with a strong emphasis on non-functional requirements (performance and reliability in particular) due to the mission critical nature of the Departure Control System application requiring 24x7 availability.
• Analyse needs and requirements, from customer and internal sources, and propose functional/technical solution recommendations with supporting rationale.
• Write and/or contribute to feasibility studies/analysis documents.
• Deliver comprehensive and high quality operational software, documentation, and unit/component tests necessary for the application.
• Identify interactions and assess impacts with other Amadeus packages/products/solutions to ensure functional and technical compatibility.
• Identify technical risks and takes responsibility for mitigating and managing them.
• Establish and improve architectural design of applications.
• Take responsibility across the full project life cycle.
• Coordinate those interactions from building phase to delivery to ensure the compliance of the delivered functionality.
• Carry out the functional walk-through of the product with the Development team and Product Management.
• Contribute with QA teams to product quality by giving inputs for the test strategy.
Maintain and optimise
• Troubleshoot and investigate defects raised by our customers to ensure compliance of our products to the specifications and system integrity.
• Communicate with customers on the steps taken to solve the issues.
Create and innovate
• Analyse needs and requirements, from customer and internal sources, and propose functional/technical solution recommendations with supporting rationale as well as an estimate of the required effort.
• Provide on request functional and technical knowledge on their own area for Sales, Account Management, Development, Implementation and Support requests (for elaboration of business cases and RFP responses).
• Provide inputs to Product Management for product functionalities enhancement, business cases and RFP responses, based on their knowledge & experience. May participate on demand to customer workshops.
• Contribute to innovation and product evolution within their functional area by sharing with peers, business & product manager’s information such as industry trends & standards etc.
• Show creativity and autonomy in finding solutions to nontrivial problems.
• Work closely with Product Management, Business Analysts, and Quality Assurance to create high quality products and enhancements.
• Collaborate with your fellow team members, to benefit from their knowledge and different backgrounds, and bring your own assets to the team.
Job Holder Profile
Education - Post-secondary degree in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience.
Relevant work experience - Experience in the Travel IT industry is a plus
Business Understanding –
- An understanding of what it takes to design, build and operate a large scale, complex system that has to operate flawlessly 24x7, 365 days per year.
- We believe in aiming for excellence, taking responsibility, working together and putting our customers first. We need you to display these qualities too.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – you will work with other operations and development teams on a daily basis.
Computing - C++, RDMS/SQL (Oracle is a plus), Linux - Knowledge of other technologies (NoSQL databases, Kafka…) and programming languages (Python, Java, Scala…) is a plus
Other - Kanban and SCRUM methodologies, Team spirit, Multicultural approach, good communication skills, analytical and conceptual thinking, customer focus
Our diversity commitment: equality, diversity and inclusion are part of who we are. We’re committed to equal opportunities and treatment regardless of age, ethnicity, gender, beliefs, sexual orientation or disability.