Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth (Skynet)
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe's number one space enterprise and the world's second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Waveform Systems Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join the Modem Product Group.
The Modem Product Group is responsible for the research and development, design, implementation and subsequent support of advanced satellite modem products. As such the Group is involved in all aspects of satellite communications engineering, from leading-edge fundamental research of technologies, through Product Design to Consultancy.
The Group has been extremely successful and as a result there is very high demand for its services. In response to and to continue this success, the group needs to expand and so new roles are available. Amongst these roles is one for A Waveform Applications System Engineer. This engineer will join a team that is very much engaged in understanding and developing technologies for future products and providing consultancy services for its customers.
The purpose of the role is to closely interact with the specialist User communities in order to understand their underlying needs, how these can be resolved into realisable requirements, and then to work with and assist the Modem Group technical team to guide technology implementation that meet the User's need. The Waveform Systems Applications Engineer will be engaged interfacing with the User community, understanding the technical aspects of the User needs and their motivations for these needs. In addition, they will be responsible for expressing these needs to the technical teams, recommending technical solutions and undertaking the sub-system design of these solutions.
The successful applicant will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
· Be able to interact with and understand the needs of the User community
· Be able to translate these needs to the Technical community
· Be able to understand the benefits to the User of certain technical features and be able to express those to the User community
· Contribute to the implementation of modem solutions and ensure they are correctly implemented;
· Provide consultancy to the internal Centre of Excellence and its customers on Waveform performance and functional aspects
· Develop maintainable modem oriented skills within the Modem Group to support ongoing and future modem developments;
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
· Waveform, DSP and Software Defined Radio background essential
· Embedded Software and Firmware/FPGA Engineering expertise
· Communications/Telecommunications/Satellite Communications background and/or expertise
· Knowledge of MF-TDMA/DAMA MAC techniques and systems such as DVB-RCS2 desirable
· Protected / Frequency Hopping Waveform background desirable
· Ability to work with end customers and waveform systems and realisation teams
· An ability obtain a UK DV Clearance
· Comfortable with Customer engagement
· Excellent communications skills
· Must demonstrate creative problem solving skills.
· Knowledge of Satcom communications products and services, as well as networking fundamentals.
· Must have the ability to work independently and be an effective contributor in a diversified team
Constructeur aéronautique, Airbus est aujourd’hui le leader mondial de la construction d’avions de ligne. Créé à la fin des années 1960 avec le projet A300, lancé à l’initiative de plusieurs pays européens, il fabrique des avions de 100 places (A318) à plus de 500 places (A380). Il appartient au groupe EADS, renommé « Airbus Group » en 2014, et présent sur 170 sites dans le monde. 6000 avions Airbus sont aujourd’hui en exploitation, avec une volonté du constructeur aéronautique de mettre l’accent sur la réduction de l’empreinte carbone (réduction de la quantité de CO2 produite par avion).
Airbus, dont le siège est situé près de Toulouse, compte 59 000 employés dans le monde et 15 sites principaux situés en France, Allemagne, Espagne et Royaume-Uni (ainsi que d’autres sites aux Etats-Unis, en Chine, au Moyen-Orient et au Japon).