Airbus DS Portsmouth (ex Cassidian)
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe's number one space enterprise and the world's second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for a Radiation Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth.
The vacancy exists to carry out radiation and nuclear hardening engineering activities for advanced satellite payloads and equipment's.
The role is strongly technical, requiring direct involvement in performing tasks ranging from component selection and test, to equipment analysis and review and the assessment of intra-equipment effects to assure whole systems. It will also be necessary to interface with customer representatives, other Airbus and subcontractor personnel and attend associated design reviews.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
Specific tasks will include (but are not limited to) the following:
· Participate in bid proposals oriented to optimization of radiation hardening aspects
· Maintain awareness of location of equipment's, thermal hardware, position and routes of all co-axial cables
· Review and ensure company and customer requirements are contained within equipment and parts procurement specification
· Drive the application of the Airbus RADIUM Process, perform cost estimates, supervise all radiation aspects/tasks and report accordingly
· Maintain technical liaison with suppliers
· Advise on and review payload shielding analysis
· Advise on additional shielding requirements for equipment's
· Review Airbus project drawings
· Monitor and review costs and schedules
· Ensure project costs and timescales are adhered to and met
· Review and approve supplier radiation analysis
· Maintain spacecraft shielding figures for equipment suppliers
· Maintain payload radiation analysis
· Liaison with customer representatives and participation in design reviews and meetings
· Production of radiation analysis documentation for in-house equipment design
· Generating test specifications and carrying out radiation testing of components
· Completing the radiation sections of the Parts Approval Documents
· Generation of project specific environment specifications
· Generation of project specific radiation hardness assurance specifications
This role will involve some travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
The individual will have:
· Genuine interest in working in the space industry and in the field of radiation/nuclear hardening of spacecraft, payloads and equipments
· A methodical approach to work, with sufficient commitment and drive to complete tasks to budget and within specified timescales
· Strong analytical skills
· The experience of working directly with customers and with the ability to present ideas and concepts to the customer with authority.
· The ability efficiently to organise and co-ordinate their work, with minimal supervision.
· The ability to generate innovative solutions and to communicate them
· Knowledge of radiation effects on components and also radiation analysis and nuclear hardening issues.
· A willingness to travel overseas
Mandatory: Proven proficiency in radiation and nuclear hardening engineering gained in a professional capacity
Desirable: Experience of radiation & nuclear hardening of spacecraft, including familiarity with space segment physical environment and design drivers, and knowledge of 3-D modelling software.
Mandatory: HNC/HND or 1st Degree in Electronics and or Electrical Engineering or Physics.
Desirable: Higher degree encompassing relevant topics such as RF Interfaces, modern communications techniques, EMC, radiation and or nuclear hardening.
Here are some other vacancies your might like
Constructeur aéronautique, Airbus est aujourd’hui le leader mondial de la construction d’avions de ligne. Créé à la fin des années 1960 avec le projet A300, lancé à l’initiative de plusieurs pays européens, il fabrique des avions de 100 places (A318) à plus de 500 places (A380). Il appartient au groupe EADS, renommé « Airbus Group » en 2014, et présent sur 170 sites dans le monde. 6000 avions Airbus sont aujourd’hui en exploitation, avec une volonté du constructeur aéronautique de mettre l’accent sur la réduction de l’empreinte carbone (réduction de la quantité de CO2 produite par avion).
Airbus, dont le siège est situé près de Toulouse, compte 59 000 employés dans le monde et 15 sites principaux situés en France, Allemagne, Espagne et Royaume-Uni (ainsi que d’autres sites aux Etats-Unis, en Chine, au Moyen-Orient et au Japon).