Airbus Operations Ltd.
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2018 it generated revenues of € 64 billion and employed a workforce of around 134,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as one of the world's leading space companies. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
You will be working in our Landing Gear Modelling and Simulation team in Filton, UK, as an engineer in an environment that is committed to understanding and meeting our customer needs. We deliver solutions to manage requirements, develop new design solutions and ensure the continued airworthiness of the ATA 32 products.
About our team…
Our team is responsible for delivering all modelling and simulation solutions for Landing Gear systems and components including braking, steering, extension/retraction, tyres and brakes.
We have the benefit of working with Procurement, Program, Chief Engineers, Test, Operations Customer Support as well as with our external Extended Enterprise Suppliers and equipment suppliers.
As a team of people from diverse functional backgrounds, we work together to identify and capitalize on opportunities to grow our business capabilities as well as our individual experience and skillsets.
Tasks & accountabilities
What you will be doing…
• Contribute to a broad variety of modelling and simulation tasks, delivering integrated technical solutions both autonomously and by guiding / steering small multi-functional teams within the fast-moving and dynamic Landing Gear perimeter.
• Define and evolve modelling capability within the Landing Modelling Office and Airbus processes, e.g. improved ways of working, change and lean.
• Ensure all modelling and simulation engineering activities are in line with cascaded ATA32 requirements and verified through the Verification & Validation plan to demonstrate compliance with applicable airworthiness regulations and design
• Defining and deploying a roadmap for developing team members’ skills in line with new digital methods and tools being deployed from the Airbus Digital Design Manufacturing & Services (DDMS) transformation project.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company’s success, reputation and sustainable growth.
• A degree or strong technical background in Aerospace, Systems, Avionic, Physics or Mathematics with experience in computer science, programming including HMI development.
• Familiarity with modelling packages and languages including Matlab, Simulink, MSC ADAMS, Amesim, sysML and FLUENT.
• A good understanding of underlying physics (hydro-mechanical, multi-body dynamics, thermo-fluid), and the ability to apply them in the field of braking, steering, extension/retraction systems and wheels, tyres and brakes domain.
• Willing to challenge yourself to extend your skills through self-directed learning and by exploring outside our team environment.
• Keen to learn about broader technical and non-technical aspects of product development and delivery.
• Able to take ownership of your activities and support your team members by making commitments that you work hard to uphold.
• Able to adapt your message to different audiences and people with different perspectives, with a willingness to take on feedback and to change course when required.
• A challenging environment where the path ahead is not fixed.
• Working in a team that supports each other and looks to have fun along the way.
Please ensure that a covering letter detailing motivations and suitability for this position is included in your application.
Many of our staff work flexibly in many different ways, including part-time. Please talk to us at interview about the flexibility you need. We cannot promise to give you exactly what you want, but we do promise not to judge you for asking.
We value the strength that diverse perspectives bring to our business, so if you require any reasonable adjustments to fully participate in the recruitment process please discuss this with the recruiter who contacts you.
Posting date: 26.07.2019
Closing date: 26.08.2019
What we offer
Whether you are looking to relocate to an exciting city or stay in the area with family, Bristol has something to offer everyone.
From scenic walks in the beautiful parks, unravelling the city’s rich history in numerous museums, enjoying the frequent music, food, balloon and graffiti festivals, to exploring all of the family friendly attractions, you’ll find just the adventure you’re looking for here in this vibrant and diverse city.
o Excellent competitive salary with yearly reviews
o Total remuneration package made up of Basic Salary, Performance Bonus & Success Sharing
o 25 days holiday (Ability to buy 35 additional hours) plus bank holidays
o Pension Scheme Defined contribution pension scheme with scale matching contribution
o Flexible Benefits based on grade – Multiple options including health care and car options
o Flexible working hours & practices (including Friday half-day)
o Onsite social clubs
o Strong career development opportunities (learning path, opportunities to move internally, UK wide and internationally)
Click here to watch an interesting video
Click here to watch an interesting video
“I’ve worked for Airbus UK for the last 17 years and it has been a great company to progress in as a female engineer.
I have enjoyed regular travel to our European sites and liaised with engineers from all around the world. More recently I even got chance to work as a volunteer for Airbus Charity in India building schools for under privileged children.
I’ve held various engineering positions throughout my time but have always been able to adapt the roles to support my career and life as a mother -
I have worked both part-time and flexibly around early school years regularly working from home to maintain that important work life balance and now I manage a small team of structural engineers building mathematical models of aircraft wings for all the airbus fleet!”