Airbus Defence and Space Portsmouth
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2017, it generated revenues of € 67 billion and employed a workforce of around 130,000. Airbus offers the most comprehensive range of passenger airliners from 100 to more than 600 seats. Airbus is also a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft, as well as Europe's number one space enterprise and the world's second largest space business. In helicopters, Airbus provides the most efficient civil and military rotorcraft solutions worldwide.
Our people work with passion and determination to make the world a more connected, safer and smarter place. Taking pride in our work, we draw on each other's expertise and experience to achieve excellence. Our diversity and teamwork culture propel us to accomplish the extraordinary - on the ground, in the sky and in space.
Description of the job
A vacancy for an Assembly Operator has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space in Portsmouth. The successful applicant will join our Assembly, Integration and Test group. Working as a member of an AIT team with mechanical and electrical specialists whose objective is to produce world leading satellite payloads. You will be responsible for carrying out all mechanical assembly tasks on the communications module to strict deadlines and of the highest quality.
The successful applicant will need to be eligible to gain UK SC Security Clearance to undertake the role.
Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
· Perform all assembly operations to payload equipment, waveguide, and test instrumentation including; sub assembly, installation and inspection.
· Prepare, clean, route, secure and torque coaxial cables and DC harnesses including tybase installation.
· Sub assembly and installation of all structural components following installation drawing and procedures, including cleat drilling and assembly.
· Templating, tailoring and fitting of multi layered insulation material.
· Prepare, use, apply, handle and dispose of chemical and hazardous substances such as thermal filler, epoxy, silicones and thread locking media.
· Take responsibility for the completion of assembly work and the recording in relevant documentation in line with AIT processes, and company lean and quality standards.
· Perform ground support equipment (MGSE) handling and lifting operations.
· Calibrate and properly use torque tools / crimp tools.
· Maintain 5S principles and carry out daily audits to keep integration areas (tools, toolboxes, workstations, etc.) clean and organised. Respect and maintain tool control system.
· Work hours will include various shift patterns as per project needs, including but not limited to; normal days, 2 or 3 shift systems, 4on / 4off, and weekend working.
· Perform machine shop operations for minor fabrication, modification and repair.
This role will involve occasional travel for business and as such you must be able to travel accordingly.
This job requires an awareness of any potential compliance risks and a commitment to act with integrity, as the foundation for the Company's success, reputation and sustainable growth.
We are looking for applicants with the following skills and experience:
Modern engineering apprenticeship and HNC in engineering discipline as a minimum. A lesser qualification is acceptable if a high level of similar industry experience can be demonstrated.
· Strong mechanical experience in relevant industry.
· Understand technical documents; drawings, procedures, technical notes, etc.
· Experience of procedure / process control.
· Work place health and safety awareness.
· Flexibility to adapt to different working patterns.
· Able to work offsite (UK and abroad) for undefined periods at short notice.
· Clean room experience.
· Experience of wiring techniques for satellite harnesses.
· Rudimentary understanding of RF properties and associated risks.
· Previous experience of telecoms payload builds.
· Security clearance to SC level.
Constructeur aéronautique, Airbus est aujourd’hui le leader mondial de la construction d’avions de ligne. Créé à la fin des années 1960 avec le projet A300, lancé à l’initiative de plusieurs pays européens, il fabrique des avions de 100 places (A318) à plus de 500 places (A380). Il appartient au groupe EADS, renommé « Airbus Group » en 2014, et présent sur 170 sites dans le monde. 6000 avions Airbus sont aujourd’hui en exploitation, avec une volonté du constructeur aéronautique de mettre l’accent sur la réduction de l’empreinte carbone (réduction de la quantité de CO2 produite par avion).
Airbus, dont le siège est situé près de Toulouse, compte 59 000 employés dans le monde et 15 sites principaux situés en France, Allemagne, Espagne et Royaume-Uni (ainsi que d’autres sites aux Etats-Unis, en Chine, au Moyen-Orient et au Japon).