Auto req ID
Volvo Construction Equipment
An opportunity has arisen for an Apprentice Engineer with Volvo Construction Equipment, based at our Stirling location.
The closing date for all applications is 23rd July 2017.
The Volvo Apprentice Programme is designed to launch potential young engineers into the world of Construction Equipment. It is delivered in partnership with the National Construction College (NCC) at Bircham Newton in Norfolk, and is recognised as the best grounding a person can get in this field in the UK.
Engineering is today a highly technical field demanding not just mechanical skills, but well developed diagnostic and electrical competencies. This three year programme is designed to train apprentices in all aspects of heavy engineering, and in order to have a reasonable chance of successfully completing the programme requires GCSE passes in Mathematics, English, and a Science subject for entry to the programme.
Recruitment takes place through the first half of the year with an interview at your local Volvo site followed by an overnight visit to the College at Bircham Newton during which there is a further interview and aptitude tests, as well the opportunity to see the College and meet the Tutors.
The programme is a blend of work based experience, online training and residential training at the NCC, starting in the autumn:
· Initial induction at your local Volvo site
· An outdoor activity week with other new apprentices.
· Ten weeks residential
· Three months work based training
· Ten weeks residential at the NCC
· Eight months of work based training
· Eight weeks residential at the NCC
· Three months of work based training
· Eight weeks at the NCC
· The last year is work based, but includes two weeks at NCC for NVQ portfolio building.
At the College you will study and work alongside apprentices from other companies, and as you are representing Volvo, would be expected to achieve the very best results you can. The format and content of the course will equip you for your career in the construction equipment industry, as well as instil a positive attitude to safety and build character. However the College is not just a place to study, and there are various facilities at your disposal to balance work and play, including:
· youth club including snooker
· a swimming pool
· time for relaxation / interests
· organised sports such as rugby and football
· squash courts and a gymnasium.
· domestic facilities include full catering, laundry service, cashpoint, etc. During the programme Volvo will not only fund your training and pay your expenses, but will also pay you while you learn. Our Apprentice pay structure is linked to your successful progression on the programme and is reviewed annually plus we supply a tool kit to the value of £500 which on successful completion of the four year course, will become your property.
Successful completion of the first two years of the programme will result in the award of an NVQ Level II in Plant Maintenance, accredited by the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB). The third year of the programme leads to the NVQ Level III in Plant Maintenance. The award of NVQ's involves CITB assessment and external verification, which ensure standards are consistent across the country. At the end of the programme you will be in the enviable position of a qualified Volvo Engineer, with accredited qualifications and a bright career ahead of you in a truly Global Company. For more information about the Apprentice Programme contact Maxine Knowles (Human Resources Manager) or visit our internet site:
To effectively and competently complete the Volvo Apprenticeship Programme and associated NVQ qualification, applying these learning's to become a Volvo trained Engineer.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Under supervision and guidance, learn to service and repair Volvo construction equipment or miscellaneous equipment, whilst maintaining safe working practices throughout.
· To follow any reasonable work instructions or requests from Line Management or a nominated responsible person.
· Maintain a sufficient personal toolkit to enable you to carry out the job effectively.
· In regards to company tooling (including but not limited to laptops, PDA's, specialist tooling and lifting equipment), ensure defects are reported, use is in line with current test periods and in line with instructions/training.
· Accurate completion of systems/paperwork
· Complete electronic timesheet in ‘real time' providing comprehensive details of the work undertaken.
· To order parts for your work as necessary and to return parts in a clean condition and at the time of job completion, to aid the efficient invoicing of workshop jobs.
· To ensure a smart and professional appearance, wearing appropriate work wear and PPE, and to ensure housekeeping in your work area is of a high standard.
· Flexibility to work overtime as and when required, in line with internal policies and working time legislation.
· To help out with on-site repairs in line with internal policies.
· To attend any College or relevant product or systems training courses, staying away from home where necessary, to ensure a high standard of competence is achieved.
· When applicable, ensure the Volvo premises are locked and secure on exiting the building, in line with key holding responsibilities. KEY SKILLS / COMPETENCIES
· Be a good team worker.
· Ability to communicate efficiently with all contacts.
· Work with a cost conscious mind set to ensure maximum profitability.
· Develop problem solving and diagnostic skills.
· IT Literacy – basic computer skills including ability to use email.
· High standards and attention to detail.
· Conscientious in all aspects of the job.
· Highly responsible, reliable, honest and trustworthy.
· Develop the ability to understand technical literature including service bulletins and parts books.
· To possess a mechanical and practical aptitude.
· Initiative, drive and self-motivation required to complete the Apprenticeship Programme.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
· GCSE or Equivalent passes in Maths and English.
· Desirable: Past relevant mechanical experience.
· Desirable: GCSE or equivalent passes in Science and Design & Technology.
ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT REQUIREMENTS
· Desirable: Hold a full driving license and residing within a ten mile radius of the Stirling Depot location.
· Be aged 16 or above at the time of starting employment (usually around July)
The Volvo Group UK is an equal opportunities employer.
Country - To display Flexible positions, type in Flexible.
Apprentice Engineer - Stirling
Travel Required (maximum)
The Volvo Group is one of the world's leading manufacturers of trucks, buses, construction equipment and marine and industrial engines under the leading brands Volvo, Renault Trucks, Mack, UD Trucks, Eicher, SDLG, Terex Trucks, Prevost, Nova Bus, UD Bus, Sunwin Bus and Volvo Penta.
With Volvo Construction Equipment , one of the world's leading providers of products and services to the construction industry under the brands Volvo, SDLG and Terex Trucks, you will be part of a global and diverse team of highly skilled professionals who work with passion, trust each other and embrace change to stay ahead. We make our customers win.
Last application date