Assistant Manager - Municipal Collections
Job Title Assistant Manager - Municipal Collections
Location Sheffield, S4 7ZJ
Competitive salary plus excellent Veolia benefits
Closing date 20th June 2017
About Veolia – We are resourcing the world
We manufacture green products and green energy using waste, waste water and wasted heat as a resource mine. We provide tailored solutions for industry or municipalities to help them save and preserve resources.
We are working hard to create a future in which end-of-life resources are transformed into products that enrich our lives and can power our homes and industry. The circular economy already represents 20% of our turnover and we are constantly developing innovative ways to develop access to, preserve and replenish resources.
To achieve our vision; we focus on creating a team with a diverse range of talent that operates in a safe, innovative and sustainable environment in order to promote the green economy and build new markets.
About the role;
This role is an Assistant Manager position within a municipal waste collection service.
Supervise and drive cost effective teams and operations, providing collection services to a high standard.
Ensure cost effective management of the Contract in line with Company objectives and standards in order to achieve high customer satisfaction levels within set targets
· Ensure that all requirements of the contract are met and human resources and equipment are allocated, such that target utilisation levels are maintained
· Manage the operations with regard to current legislation and good practice
· Meet customer delivery targets and key performance indicators identified for the contract
· Assist the Collections Manager in managing the contract budget through effective and regular reviews to monitor costs against agreed budgetary targets
· Responsible for the day to day management of a fleet of vehicles to include route planning and monitoring to ensure optimum efficiency and control of costs
· Manage and lead a workforce, encouraging good working relationships within a unionised environment and continuously ensuring the right level of skills is maintained to deliver an efficient and timely service
· Manage on a day to day basis Contract Supervisors and Administrators and liaise with other Veolia departments in regard to service issues and take improvement action in any area requiring improvement
· Ensure all investigation and reporting of accidents are carried out thoroughly and promptly, in line with Company policy and procedures
· Compile reports - Health & Safety / Operational performance / Monthly absence and Contract KPIs, etc.
· Maintain professional relationship with Client staff, communicating data/ information with clarity, accuracy and honesty. In addition, attend Residents Association meetings etc, to answer questions and make presentations to represent the contract
· Meet budget objectives by closely and continuously following income and expenditure items, and maintaining effective cost management controls
· Responsible for developing and maintaining database systems for all operational services
· Management of transport, ensuring compliance with servicing schedules, defect and daily
check reporting and compliance with “O” licence requirements and the Fleet Maintenance Systems. Ensure fleets are efficiently operated, maintaining correct operational numbers/types, together with cleanliness and drivers care
· Ensure legal and safety requirements relating to fleet management are met and that all vehicle records are monitored for accuracy and efficient storage
· Ensure quality control systems are operated effectively with regard to the fleet maintenance and purchasing is value for money without detriment to quality
· All new staff and staff transferred to new activities must receive appropriate induction training, including knowledge of safe operating procedures and relevant legislation
· Responsibility for the Environment, Health and Safety, Control of Substances Hazardous to Health and Risk Assessments
· Management of ISO 9001, 14001 and 18001 and Quality Performance Indicator Systems
· Conduct quality audits of systems and assist the Collections Manager in preparing for quality audits
· Responsible for day to day liaison with Client Officers on contractual issues, performance standards and associated requests to perform additional work
Knowledge, skills and experience;
· Previous management experience within a similar role is required to be successful in this position
· Ability to build strong relationships and deal effectively with people at different levels, both internally and externally
· Possess strong people management skills to lead and support the team to deliver a first class service to the client
· Strong negotiation and influencing skills
· Analytical and numerate with a good financial understanding
· Excellent communication and presentation skills
· Experience in the waste management sector, together with experience of managing within an unionised environment
· IOSH and CPC in National Road Haulage desirable
· Takes decisions and make things happen – even under difficult circumstances
· Ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines and deliver
Veolia recognises the positive value of inclusion and promotes equality. We welcome and encourage job applications from people of all backgrounds.