Founded in 1907 in Seattle, Washington USA, UPS are the largest parcel delivery service in the world and one of the leading global providers of specialized transportation and logistics services. UPS employs nearly 400,000 staff world wide and serves more than 220 countries and territories.
Hours - various shifts over 5 days a week
Salary - £40,000
Troubleshoots, calibrates, analyses and adjusts Automated Sortation Systems as necessary to maintain optimal performance of Plant Floor Equipment. Responds to sort calls and breakdowns and expedites their completion. Proactively identifies equipment or human interface that is the cause of system defects. This position will combine the individual’s technical knowledge and analytical skills to support an Automated Sortation System.Dependent on location, shifts may vary over a 24 hour period in order to support the operation.
Processes required to maintain and support the following:
Automated Sortation System
· Conveyor Systems (Belting, Power Units, Pulleys, Rollers)
· Height Sensor / Photo-eyes
· Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC)
· Imaging Systems (Camera / Lights)
· Laser Scanners
· Dimensioning Systems
· Human Machine Interface (HMI) Systems
· Plant Floor PC Hardware and Applications
· Uninterruptable Power Supplies
· Troubleshooting Sortation System up to Second Level Support
· Calibrating and Adjusting Plant Floor Equipment
· Maintaining and Analysing Statistics
· Analysing and Correcting Operation’s Methods
· Reports on reliability and defect issues at area pre-sort meetings
· Identifies and Corrects Both Systems and Human Issues Resulting in Automated Misloads and Poor Package Care
· Communicating and Coordinating with Maintenance Mechanics
· Computer Virus Procedures (Updates, Patches, Auditing)
· Reading and Interpreting Single Line Electrical Drawings
· Auditing Plant Floor Equipment
· Performing Preventive Maintenance Program
· Coordinating, Inventorying and Ordering of Spare Parts
· Testing of Equipment
· Performing Disaster Recovery Preparedness
· Responds to poor performing or malfunctioning sortation systems and schedules or makes necessary adjustments to machine interface
· Troubleshoots, calibrates, and adjusts encoders, photocells and other plant floor sensors, DWS units, laser scanners, CCD
cameras and Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS).
· Troubleshoots PLC processors, the I/O, and PLC network
· Responds to poor performing or malfunctioning Dimensional Weight System (DWS) components and schedule or make necessary adjustments to these components.
· Perform Preventive Maintenance Inspections of Plant Floor Equipment.
· Order replacement equipment.
· Test all new and repaired equipment.
· Conduct periodic inventory of spare equipment.
· Troubleshoots, modifies, and maintains UPS proprietary Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) logic.
· Troubleshoots, modifies, and maintains UPS proprietary PC applications.
· Analyse Technical Data
· Perform optimization studies
· Perform Plant Floor project engineering tasks
· Participate in group training activities.
Keys Skills & Experience:
· Degree (or equivalent) in Engineering, with relevant experience
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Able To Prepare Engineering Designs & Specifications
· Good Cost Estimating Skills
· Good Negotiation Skills
· Excellent planning and organisational skills
· Able to work on own initiative and prioritize accordingly
· Willing to work flexible hours including call out coverage
· Flexible, friendly and enthusiastic attitude
We offer a wide range of benefits from a Company pension scheme to a corporate discount programme.
UPS operates a ‘promotion from within policy’ with all our employees having the opportunity to progress within the Company.
Job Mechanic & Automotive
Primary Location United Kingdom-England