Junior European External Affairs Manager
Who are we?
At Unilever, we share one simple purpose: To make sustainable living commonplace. Through our powerhouse brands such as Dove, Axe and Magnum, we are creating a bright future for our business and our planet – And you can be part of it.
We believe that companies with purpose last, people with purpose thrive and brands with purpose grow. We meet everyday needs for nutrition, hygiene and personal care with brands that help people feel good, look good and get more out of life.
Business context and main purpose of the job:
Unilever is looking to recruit a junior European External Affairs Manager to bring additional energy and future-fit capabilities to its European Affairs office based in Brussels. She/he will work closely with colleagues within the European and Global External Affairs teams to help develop and deliver the External Affairs priorities as defined by the Unilever business priorities.
You will be in charge of sharing both internally and externally the activities of the European External Affairs office, design and deliver advocacy and communications campaigns in line with our business priorities, maintain contacts with public and private EU stakeholders, produce advocacy materials and monitor EU decision-making.
To do so, the Junior European External Affairs Manager has excellent communication, advocacy and campaigning skills and a good understanding of the EU Institutions and processes.
· Design, develop and deliver advocacy campaigns & communication assets and materials for social media updates, positions and stakeholder outreach programs;
· Work with the business divisions to translate their division strategies into advocacy and campaigning assets that resonate with a Brussels audience to support External Affairs activities;
· Communicate internally on EU policy developments and European External Affairs’ outreach activities;
· Summarize complex regulatory or External Affairs issues in an engaging way that resonates with business owners and local teams, define solutions and potential campaigns to create unlocks
· Provide input and guidance on positions/perceptions of external audiences as part of the business strategy;
· Support the business with the launch of product innovations that require acceptance of external stakeholders and/or regulatory approval;
· Represent Unilever at key European industry organisations
· Have an understanding and existing network within new power influences of power and audiences such as NGOs, activist citizens and influential bloggers.
Who are you?
· Minimum 2-4 years working experience in an advocacy, communications, external affairs role in-house or in a consultancy and/or working experience in the EU institutions, NGOs or activist citizen representation;
· Experience in running campaigns that go off the beaten path;
· Good insight into decision making procedures and processes in the EU;
· Know how to amplify content and ignite campaigns that move the needle when it comes to decision taking
· Team player with a global mindset who is willing to work across communications disciplines, geographies and functions, with a sense of humor, twinkle in their eyes and a love for ice cream
· Knowledge of Unilever and/or the FMCG sector;
· Experience at regional or local level in Communications/External Affairs;
· Track record of successful campaigns/advocacy work.
· NGO, new power, activist citizen insights
· Lobbying and Advocacy skills;
· Excellent communications and IT skills;
· Knows how to produce creative assets from engaging social content to visual pieces that capture the essence of a solution
· Knows how to get traction on social media and has a passion for amplifying Unilever point of views on social channels
· Stakeholder management and knowledge especially in new power areas;
· Strategic Issues Management expertise;
· Perfect command of written and spoken English is key. Good knowledge of French, German and/or Dutch is considered an asset.
EXCITED ABOUT THE ROLE?
To apply, please send your CV and a motivation letter.
Unilever is an organization committed to diversity and inclusion. We want to create a better future every day for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to achieve our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age or national origin and will not be discriminated against disability.
We look forward to meeting you!