Assistant Research & Development Manager Home Care – Formulation and Process
Location: Tema, Ghana
BUSINESS CONTEXT AND MAIN JOB PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Home Care categories (Laundry Bars, Laundry powders, Dishwashing Liquid, Surface Cleansing, Toilet Cleaning) are fast growing in Ghana, with a turnover that is significant for the Unilever business.
The main purpose of the role:
· Supports the implementation of regional / local R&D elements of the Home Care Category innovation program for both Formulation and Processing development (where local production)
· Delivers activation/market communication and cost effectiveness projects.
· Gives input for the development, together with local/ regional marketing, of a strategic vision and communication for regional / local consumer and technical needs
· Responsible for driving deploy excellence across Ghana HC R&D organization through successful execution of the new product development process and launches. The role entails owning the Product and Process Development Process, and manages it to promote brilliant execution and maintain compliance to Unilever’s quality system, legal and regulatory requirements.
· Partner with other functions to identify value improvement projects, develop and implement strategy, and assist in setting strategic technical direction.
· Provide leadership for innovation projects through project management, including such activities as collaborating to develop business cases, defining business and/ or technical requirements, and preparing detailed project plans and schedules. Generate project/technical risk assessments and provide mitigating plans
· Partner with Local Market Activation in providing technical activation/promotional support for market introductions and support maximizing impact technology for the category.
· Monitor Competitor activity, supporting Global Design and Regional Deploy with regional consumer needs and insights.
· Responsible for managing quality and product safety in the Operating Company, providing the link to the Supply Chain and Home Care Regional R&D.
· Assists or lead - as appropriate/ agreed with the Home Care Regional R&D Teams the seamless incorporation of new product technology/mixes into the Local Supply Chain. Support SC on any third-party activities for HC products
· Implement/adapt regional/global technical specs of Raw Materials, Product and Process for Local Sourcing / Supply Chain, in consultation with the appropriate Home Care Regional R&D Design Team.
· Support product registration through submission of formulation/processing related items
· Autonomous in decision making process on various task/projects being handled from time to time
CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
· Consumer and Customer Focus
· Accountability and Responsibility
· Team spirit and Networking
· Excellence in Science and Technology Expertise
· Consumer / Customer focus
· Project Management
· Professional networking/external focus
· Supply Chain understanding
The ideal candidate should:
· Be a pro-active problem solver
· Able to lead a team and encourage the delivery of others
· Have the capacity to work autonomously to meet deadlines
· Be an excellent communicator (written and verbally)
· Have the ability to influence
· Have attention to detail and the capacity to work on a number of projects at the same time
· Ideally have a Science or Engineering Degree
· Work stream leadership in a cross functional project environment
· Project leadership in functional area
· Packaging methods and measurement, testing, data analysis and reporting
· Trial briefing, planning, co-ordination and execution
· Trial reporting and analysis of outcomes
· Technical experience from similar organisations