As a Game Designer at Ubi MTL, you will be the creative energy behind a specific set of game systems and mechanics. You provide players with tools to build unique gameplay experiences and opportunities to make meaningful choices.
You go through an iterative, hands-on process of adjusting and balancing your design as you bring it from concept to playability. Throughout production, you shift your focus from the big picture to the micro details; tackling hurdles in development and stepping back to asses how all the pieces connect and affect each other. You tweak and tune until it finally happens: a smooth and engaging player experience emerges.
What you’ll do
· Design features aligned with the creative and game directions (e.g. 3C (character, controls, cameras), gameplay rules, progression systems, artificial intelligence behaviours, etc.).
· Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate your assigned features.
· Develop in-engine prototypes and evaluate their performance.
· Adapt to technical and production constraints, reworking your design when and as often as needed.
· Participate in finding solutions to fix buggy features.
· Create and maintain design documentation that will guide interdependent teams.
· Follow up on features post-launch to improve, add, or remove components (in certain cases).
What you bring
· Experience in video game production or related experience
· Experience with game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal) and productivity software (word processors, spreadsheets, etc.)
· An innovative, empathetic, and collaborative spirit
· Exceptional communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills (you’re able to clearly explain your thought process on paper and in person)
· Critical thinking, curiosity, resourcefulness, and plenty of flexibility
· A solid understanding of the market and a passion for video games – you play enough to know what makes quality gameplay!
Just a heads up: If you require a work permit, your eligibility may depend on your education and years of relevant work experience, as required by the government.
What to send our way
· Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
· Please feel free to send us samples of your work (attach files or send us a link to your demo reel or online portfolio).
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.