At Ubisoft Montreal’s User Research Lab, we contribute to creating the best gaming experiences by putting players – their behaviours, motivations, and more – at the centre of the design process. Working hand in hand with production teams, we deliver in-depth player insights to guide decision-making, combining state-of-the-art qualitative and quantitative analysis through a variety of methodologies and data sources to do so. As a Data Scientist within the Lab, you’ll leverage large amounts of in-game player data to create novel solutions, automate processes, improve game systems, and generate meaningful insights that benefit our players and inform game creators.
Our mandate leads us to tackle a wide range of machine learning and analytics tasks (which may include among other things activity and churn forecasts, recommendation systems, RL agents, NLP methods, ...), always with the goal of helping our production partners deliver the best games possible.
You'll be part of a large data and analytics group that will support your work in terms of data quality, pipeline deployment, software development and domain knowledge. Likewise, you’ll contribute to the growth of the team by sharing methodologies and best practices.
You’ll also be assisting game projects through their development and post-launch journey, by providing support to the work of fellow analysts, proposing data-driven solutions to the challenges that arise, and augmenting your stakeholders’ awareness about the possibilities offered by data science.
Most importantly, you will be a main driver in our R&D efforts to harness the latest advances in data science, with the goal of making smarter and more data-informed games, for the benefit of players and creators alike.
What you’ll do
· Contribute to large scale data science projects, from initial problem statement to final delivery in production.
· Create and research new methodologies to expand our scope and adapt them to the specific nature of video game data.
· Follow-up on some productions to spot new opportunities for machine learning implementation or in-depth statistical analysis.
· Carry out advanced analyses to discover new, valuable insights that support strategy and guide decision-making. Translate your findings into visualizations and present results and recommendations.
· Collaborate closely with lab and production partners and serve as a reference in your domain for other fields of expertise in the user research lab.
· Participate in creating new processes and perfecting existing ones.
What you bring
· A Graduate degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Engineering, or any related quantitative discipline
· At least 3 years of experience in developing and deploying machine learning models
· Fluency in Python and its ML/DL libraries
· Experience in data manipulation and SQL
· Strong mathematical and problem-solving skills
· Good knowledge of programming and development practices
· Effective cross-departmental communication: you can interact with all disciplines + break down complex information for various audiences
· Great team spirit, with a commitment to sharing knowledge and helping colleagues develop their skills
· Flexibility in the organization of your work, allowing you to adapt to changes and balance a range of tasks
· Curiosity, creativity and a strong drive towards innovation and self-improvement
Nice to have:
· Practical knowledge of reinforcement learning algorithms
· Experience with text mining and Natural Language Processing
· Knowledge of the R language and libraries
· Advanced statistical background
· Experience with PySpark
· Fluency in French and English
· Knowledge and interest in video games.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.