Description du poste
TOTAL is one of the largest energy companies in the world, with over 96,000 employees, activities in more than 130 countries. Within the company, TOTAL Gas, Renewables & Power is dedicated entirely to commit better energy in energy efficiency and in the value chains of electricity and gas. The CO2 & H2 division aims at exploring opportunities in the low carbon economy.
TOTAL has been involved in CO 2 capture, use and storage (CCUS) since 2003, noticeably with the Lacq experiment. Total is driven by the ambition to become a leader in each step of the CCS value chain. A wide R&D programme has been started in 2017. In this context, the branch Gas, Renewables & Power leads business development as well as R&D activity on overall performance of the value chain, risk management and acceptability. Total is part of several European projects focused on CCUS with contributions ranging from techno-economical assessment, environmental impact, business model, regional markets, local acceptance.
Mission and responsibilities
Total has established several partnerships to explore the value that CCUS might bring to the energy system and to the society. It involves socio-economic and climate models at the regional or world scale. In this context Total proposes a doctoral research program in collaboration with Mines ParisTech and MIT (USA) on ‘The role of carbon capture, storage and utilization in the global energy transition: long-term optimization of the energy system and transformation of industry’.
The research will be developed with TIAM-FR, the integrated TIMES model representing the world energy system. The work will involve the following steps.
· Enrich the TIAM bottom-up, technology-rich, and cost-optimization global energy system model with CCUS technologies.
· Assess the subsequent infrastructure needs and costs associated to evaluate the realistic nature of the various scenarios and to allow the search for an optimal one.
· Summarize the findings regarding the utilization of CO 2 in terms of the scale, costs, and regional variability of various uses for representation in top-down economy-wide models like the MIT Economic Projection and Policy Analysis (EPPA) model.
· Analyze the potential decarbonization of industry through the development of CCS, including the cement industry, iron and steel industry, refineries, hydrogen and other industries.
· Investigate through various scenarios the contribution of different low-carbon options to discuss the role CCS, BECCS and CCSU technologies can play to reach climate variability target and global decarbonization of the energy sector.
The research work will take place in the CMA (Center for Applied Mathematics) of Mines Paristech school in Sophia Antipolis, the MIT in Boston and Total R&D in La Defense.
He/shewill have the opportunity to work transversally over the entire Total group in the CCUS R&D programme(70 persons in 4 countries).
Durée du contrat
A propos de nous/Profil de l'entreprise
BETTER ENERGY NEEDS YOU
Donnez le meilleur de vous-même à l’énergie ! Rejoignez TOTAL : plus de 500 métiers différents dans 130 pays. Une entreprise responsable avec des standards de sécurité et d’éthique forts, des perspectives d’évolution de carrière variées, une culture de l’innovation et une mission partagée par les 100.000 collaborateurs du Groupe : rendre l’énergie meilleure jour après jour.
Ideal candidate profile
· General engineering degree including ideally
· Modeling and optimization of large systems
· Energy systems
· Industrial processes
· Environmental impacts
· English and French working language
· Self-motivated with capacity to work independently and with multiple teams
· Strong customer focused attitude
· Communication skills
· Sensitive to climate issues
· Able to work in an international team environment
· Initiative and capacity to share ideas and suggestions
· Good relationship skills
Resp Générales Rch et Dév
Intitulé du poste
THESE CIFRE- INTEGRATION DU CCUS DANS LES MODELISATIONS SOCIO-ECONOMIQUES PLANETAIRES
Unité de temps
Gas Renewables And Power
Région, département, localité
06 - Alpes-Maritimes
Niveau d’expérience requis
0- 3 ans
Salaire annuel brut maximum
Salaire annuel brut minimum
Lieu des entretiens
PARIS LA DEFENSE