· As part of the Global Risk Control Organisation activities involve contributing to any Risk Control process of the entities covered by the Global team:
· Analyze, model, and report market risk for all trading activities. Assess and monitor physical and financial trades, transportation, storage, park and loan, and foreign exchange deals. Analyze mark-to-market valuations, risk positions, basis changes, and P/L results on a daily basis. Develop and maintain risk reporting/analytical tools to communicate position, P/L and market risk to traders and management.
· Coordinate and review deal and price in trading system by performing deal check, price validation, curve update, and data reconciliation. Monitor timely deal capture, internal trading limits, and risk policy requirements to ensure the representativeness and integrity of transactions in the trading system.
· Provide critical thinking around risk reporting processes, quantification, and analysis of commodity exposure and forward price movements for TGPL’s multi-products trading activities. Maintain, enhance, and review risk models. Test new risk calculations, evaluate model assumptions against fundamentals, and communicate suggested modeling/valuation enhancements to achieve better valuation and risk quantification. Communicate effectively with Front Office, Operation, back office and Finance team on inputs and assumptions
· Work closely with Traders to quantify and explain the sources of risk in their portfolios. Promote innovative ways of leveraging existing data monitor and manage their risks.
· Contribute to the reporting of Trading Result/ Position to Senior management.
· Work closely with Back Office, Finance, Credit, Legal & Compliance, Front-Office to improve the flow of data across department and the accuracy of analysis.
· Support, identify, and assist in implement of process improvement, from system testing and implementations to desk level process.
· Identify and communicate operational risk, define risk mitigating measures and priorities.
· Accountabilities :
· Compliance with internal trading limits.
· Accurate and independent analysis, valuation, and reporting of risk positions and trading results.
· External regulatory compliance Dimension :
The job holder will work in the Global Risk Control department, under the supervision of Middle Office Supervisor, and will seek to measure, analyse and monitor the P&L, Exposure and the Value At Risk of the Trading Desks. The position has a specific focus on developing new tools using data science latest developments to help middle office monitor risks and value of the trading portfolio. The position is based in Geneva and include oversight of both European and global energy markets.
About us / company profile
BETTER ENERGY NEEDS YOU
Give your best to better energy and make the commitment with Total. With over 500-plus professions in 130 countries, we offer high safety and environmental standards, strong ethical values, an innovation culture and wide-ranging career development. Be part of the global team whose mission is already shared by 100,000 employees: to make energy better each and every day.
The global activities of the Gas & Power Branch of Total SA, and its affiliates, subsidiaries and associated companies (“Total Gas & Power”, "Group" or "Total Group") include the marketing and trading of natural gas, liquefied natural gas ("LNG") and power, the trading of liquefied petroleum gas ("LPG"), natural gas transportation and storage, as well as LNG re-gasification.
Total Gas & Power’s trading teams are responsible for optimising the purchase/sales portfolios of gas, electricity and LPG via transactions (arbitrage, balancing and hedging) in all recognised markets, in compliance with Group trading guidelines.
· Degree qualified in Data Science or quantitative discipline.
· Comprehensive understanding of risk management methodologies and valuation models.
· High levels of numeracy and computer literacy.
· High degree of accuracy and efficiency under set deadlines.
· Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
· High levels of flexibility with regard working hours.
· Good interpersonal skills
Financial Middle / Back Office
Middle Office analyst data scientist
Gas Renewables And Power
Experience level required
Less than 3 years
Context and environment
· Fast-paced, dynamic trading environment with time-sensitive, business critical activities requiring instantaneous analyses and generation of reports.
· The Middle Office Analyst is part of the Global Risk Control team involving Houston, Geneva, and Singapore.
· The Middle Office Analyst works closely with Front Office, Operations, Back Office, Finance, Compliance, and Trading System teams. The team works across locations and product types including natural gas, NGL, LPG, shale gas, LNG, power, emissions, and dry bulk products.
· The Middle Office is responsible for calculating profits and losses and for monitoring the risks of the trading department. It is responsible for all aspects of market risk control, such as risk identification, measurement, monitoring and disclosure across various classes of energy commodity assets.
The Top Management of Gas branch follows and controls the trading activity through the Middle Office reports.