Job Category: Industrial
Job Type: Regular
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working time: Full-time
Work schedule: Day shift
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. With more than 24,100 employees in 64 countries, Solvay bonds people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress. The Group seeks to create sustainable shared value for all, notably through its Solvay One Planet plan crafted around three pillars: protecting the climate, preserving resources and fostering better life. The Group’s innovative solutions contribute to safer, cleaner, and more sustainable products found in homes, food and consumer goods, planes, cars, batteries, smart devices, health care applications, water and air purification systems. Founded in 1863, Solvay today ranks among the world’s top three companies for the vast majority of its activities and delivered net sales of €10.2 billion in 2019. Solvay is listed on Euronext Brussels (SOLB) and Paris and in the United States, where its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a Level I ADR program.
The Industrial function’s role is to help the Solvay Group in safety initiatives and support the group's transformation in operational excellence.
The Industrial Function is a transversal function of the Solvay Group. Our mission is to support the Global Business Units (GBUs) in their industrial activities "from the cradle to the grave." We help them to design, to build and to operate their plants in an efficient and secure mode. We support them in the research of Excellence, in the management of the Industrial Family and take care of their environmental legacies. We support them in their business activities. The SDS Authoring and Substance Manager position will report into this Industrial Function.
The Hazard Communication team fosters best practice sharing across the whole community worldwide and assists GBUs in placing on the market Solvay products, by delivering reliable and compliant Hazard Documentation, to protect workers, customers, environment and Solvay Intellectual Property.
Through continuous improvement, they increase the efficiency of the processes and deliver the Hazard Communication outputs in a cost effective manner.
Job Overview and Responsibilities
The SDS authoring and Substance team is located in Portugal, Brazil and Latvia.
The SDS authoring and Substance Manager will drive the development and implementation of the Solvay Safety Data Sheets strategies to support the GBU's in line with the Solvay Group’s purpose, with a Global scope and reporting to Hazard Communication manager
He/she will ensure the delivery of reliable and compliant Hazard Documentation to protect workers, customers, environment and Solvay Intellectual Property.
He/she will ensure the assessment of the substances handled by Solvay and our customers, in collaboration with other experts such as TERA, IH, Product Stewards and corporate R&I. In order to define the adequate data and classification and ensure the information is available in the Solvay database SAP EHS.
He/she leads with purpose, is customer obsessed, and provides leadership and coaching to members of his/her team.
He/she will ensure the quality and compliance of SDS content and harmonize the content of SDS across Solvay in collaboration with the GBUs, the SDS experts in the Product Safety in the Clusters and HazCom EHS mgt teams.
He/she will ensure the availability in SAP EHS of the adequate data and classification of Substances used in Solvay and the correct processes.
The responsibilities include:
· Responsible for the definition and improving of SDS authoring and Substance management processes according the new organisation and the needs of the GBUs and Clusters
· Responsible for increasing the quality of Solvay SDS information, implementing new regulations, harmonizing the content of SDS across Solvay and increasing efficiency with the automatization of repetitive tasks. This in collaboration with GBUs, SDS experts and HazCom EHS mgt teams.
· Responsible for improving the Substance management processes to ensure Solvay has the adequate substance information in the database and processes definition to increase efficiency.
· Influence/guide the development of new systems/databases/improvement programs, etc. that may impact SDS authoring and Substance management activities.
· Responsible for the creation of an active network with SDS experts in Product Safety clusters and HazCom EHS management team to ensure continuous improvement.
· Manages the SDS authoring and Substance team in collaboration with the Hazard Communication manager. Lead, motivate, coach, develop and evaluate members of the team.
· Supports and advises the Hazard Communication manager in matters of SDS authoring and Substance management, collaborates actively with the other departments of the Product Safety organization.
· Taking smart risks: ensure the best level of compliance with the resources available when making choices and prioritizing
· Trusting the team to deliver and achieve the objectives set while providing coaching customized to each individual
Education and Experience
· University degree in Science and/or Technology or equivalent by experience.
· At least 3 years of experience in leading remote teams
· At least 2 years with International experience
· Working knowledge on Hazard Communication regulations
· Critical analysis of Product Safety processes
· Ability to lead by influence
· Demonstrate behavior consistent with the Solvay behaviors (Trust, Smart Risks, Customer obsessed)
· Good leadership skills
· Flexibility/ Ability to deal with change
· Analytical ability/Problem solving skills
· Practical and Pragmatic
· International reporting line
· Advanced English