Important EEO information related to opening in the US
Solvay is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. Click on the links to read "The EEO is the Law" poster and the “EEO is the Law” poster Supplement .
We will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. For more information, please click here.
Solvay is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. Our purpose—we bond people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress—is a call to go beyond, to reinvent future forms of progress and create sustainable shared value for all through the power of science. In a world facing an ever-growing population and quest for resources, we aim to be the driving force triggering the next breakthroughs to enable humanity to advance while protecting the planet we all share.
We bond with customers and partners to address today and tomorrow’s megatrends. As a global leader in Materials, Chemicals and Solutions, Solvay brings advancements in planes, cars, batteries, smart and medical devices, water and air treatment, to solve critical industrial, social and environmental challenges. You can count on our innovative solutions to contribute to safer, cleaner and more sustainable future.
Provide the technical and managerial expertise for the successful development and execution of a wide variety and size of projects, studies, and troubleshooting activities for the general operation of the Green River plant and for capital improvement projects, with an emphasis on the application of mechanical, structural, and material handling skills. Provide engineering services for specific areas, sections, or functions within the plant. Provide external customer technical assistance. Assist in the acquisition of and gain proficiency in the systems and tools necessary to continually improve department productivity.
The work environment is that of a small, highly qualified Engineering Department serving a manufacturing plant whose major products are soda ash, sodium bicarbonate, and processed trona. The Project Engineers' primary role is the development and execution of a wide range of capital, expense, and troubleshooting projects. The Project Engineer carries a workload of 5-15 projects for his own implementation. The engineer is also available to manage large projects both on and off-site.
The workload typically originates from a request from the Maintenance or Production Departments, or by assignment to develop projects loosely defined in the Capital Forecast by the Engineering Superintendent. Technical development is followed by a presentation of alternatives and recommendations to interested parties, the development of an AFE for capital, or approval for departmental money expenditure, with our execution by in-house workers or contract forces.
- Economic and technical evaluation of alternatives for projects. Technical evaluation of maintenance and production problems including, safety, corrosion, failure analysis, resource optimization, and cost improvements.
- Implementation of projects to satisfy schedule, budget, safety, and quality criteria.
- Gaining consensus or forcing agreement on problem sets across departmental lines.
- Selling technical and management system changes to the plant and to corporate management.
- Selection of contractors and vendors; solving contractual problems with contractors.
- Project planning to satisfy completion schedules, quality, and budget.
- Structural, mechanical, process development, and materials handling design.
- Broad authority for methods of problem-solving in areas of departmental expertise i.e., technical and economic solutions to projects, plant maintenance, and operating problems.
- Technical decisions within areas of expertise i.e., mechanical, civil, structural design, materials handling, procurement, and construction decisions. All technical, economic, contractual, and management decisions for major projects according to Solvay Chemicals policies and procedures within project limits. Management decisions relative to subordinates’ work priorities, technical approach training, and others.
KNOW HOW / SKILLS REQUIRED:
- BS in Civil Engineering or comparable degree with work experience.
- Soda ash experience is a plus.
- Minimum 3 years experience in related industries with project management/ economic analysis/ mechanical equipment selection/ installation.
- Structural, mechanical, and materials handling design skills.
- Ability to work effectively across departmental lines; direct contractor design/ procurement/ construction activities.
- Excellent written/ graphic/ verbal communicator.
YOU WILL GET:
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- 16 weeks of maternity/paternity and co-parenting leave
- Free language courses (24 languages available)
- Additional local benefits
- Relocation package within the US is available
Solvay’s purpose is to bond people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress. We can only fulfill this purpose with a diverse workforce that feels respected and appreciated, and has equal opportunities to work, grow and thrive. Our differences, visible or not, are valued. As Solvay seeks to promote unity and not uniformity, we invite you - regardless of background, age, gender, race, national origin, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, ability or identity - to consider a future with us.