· Country:United Kingdom
Job Category: Industrial
Job Type: Regular
Type of Contract: Permanent
Working time: Full-time
Work schedule: Rotating shift
Solvay is a science company whose technologies bring benefits to many aspects of daily life. With more than 24,100 employees in 64 countries, Solvay bonds people, ideas and elements to reinvent progress. The Group seeks to create sustainable shared value for all, notably through its Solvay One Planet plan crafted around three pillars: protecting the climate, preserving resources and fostering better life. The Group’s innovative solutions contribute to safer, cleaner, and more sustainable products found in homes, food and consumer goods, planes, cars, batteries, smart devices, health care applications, water and air purification systems. Founded in 1863, Solvay today ranks among the world’s top three companies for the vast majority of its activities and delivered net sales of €10.2 billion in 2019. Solvay is listed on Euronext Brussels (SOLB) and Paris and in the United States, where its shares (SOLVY) are traded through a Level I ADR program.
Technology Solutions is a global leader in specialty mining reagents, phosphine-based chemistry, and solutions for stabilization of polymers. Its portfolio includes world class, leading-edge technologies and unrivaled technical service and applications expertise that support our customers in developing tailor-made solutions, in particular for mining, where Solvay's products allow customers to extract metal concentrates from increasingly more complex and depleted ores.
Job Overview and Responsibilities
The FCI Unit based at Oldbury site is part of the Oil and Gas GBU and supports the Technology Solution GBU. The unit makes products for numerous customers with very high expectations for quality and purity. The unit also supports the TS GBU in the development and scale up of new and existing products and processes.
· Efficient operating of FCI Unit processes within relevant Health, Safety and Environmental constraints. Ensuring safety concerns are raised using current site procedures.
· Involvement in workgroup development activity including commissioning of new processes and refinement of procedures.
· Communication and liaison with management/engineering as necessary, to minimise downtime associated with maintenance activity, and to resolve process difficulties (includes permit to work provision).
· Plant monitoring including sampling and analysis as appropriate.
· Organising workload of self in response to process requirements over a 12 hour shift, and as tasked by FCI Unit Team Leader.
· Raw material, intermediate, waste and product handling (FLT, manual handling etc.).
· Comprehensive and accurate record keeping.
· Maintaining the highest housekeeping standards at all times.
· Communication and liaison with Process Development Group as necessary, to enable the safe and efficient transfer of development products onto the FCI Unit and also to further develop existing processes.
· Respond to plant incidents where it is safe to do so.
· Be responsible for complying with, and recommending any improvements to, the relevant processes in their area following the "plan, do, check act" model.
· Responsible for all Lab based Wiped Film Evaporator operations for routine production requirements
· Emergency Team Member in roles of Breathing Apparatus Board Controller, Communication coordinator or Breathing Apparatus Responder dependant on Incident
The above is not an exhaustive list and will include completing any other reasonable task requested by management that is within the skills and abilities of the job holder.
Education and Experience
HNC/HND or equivalent or Degree level in chemistry, chemical engineering or similar technical discipline.
Experience of working in a Chemical COMAH plant environment
Part of the FCI Unit team you will have good communication skills, be thorough, accurate, self-motivated, flexible and confident to work alone. Must be able to follow procedures and pay attention to detail. Must be IT literate
English, spoken & written.
The FCI Unit runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with the FCI Unit Technician team working on a 12 hour shift pattern. The role includes providing cover in the event of absences of other members of the FCI Unit Technicians team.
The capability to wear self-contained breathing apparatus is a requirement of the role.
Being a site first aider is a requirement of the role.
Oldbury site is a top tier COMAH site and high levels of safety are paramount.