Degree Apprentice - Digital and Technology Solutions (Level 6)
Apprenticeship Birmingham (City and Borough of Birmingham) IT development
Believe there’s more than one way to secure a successful future?
So do we. We believe our apprenticeship programmes are a great option and opportunity for ambitious and hard-working students. Especially as you’ll gain a degree whilst earning a salary as well as the reputation that comes with working for a digital pioneer like Siemens Mobility!
Siemens Mobility help to solve the problems of increasing traffic by working with railway operators to improve the capacity, punctuality, and security of their systems. We also ensure that the carbon footprint produced by transportation is kept to a minimum.
Within our Control Systems team, you will be part of a team helping to design and implement rail control systems and traffic management solutions, which have a real impact on the real world. This is an excellent opportunity to join our team to tackle various challenges to improve existing and new railway network and infrastructure.
We are recruiting school and college leavers to join our Control Systems apprenticeship scheme who want to make a difference and develop their skills in IT, Engineering and Digital Technology.
Part of being an apprentice at Siemens means you get to work on real life projects whilst also being supported on a guided learning journey. This will be a 4-year Digital and Technology Solutions Degree Apprenticeship. Alongside this, you'll also be taking part in signalling project delivery activities in the workplace. As an apprentice in Siemens Rail Infrastructure (a part of Siemens Mobility), you will be working with one of the signalling control systems delivery teams based at our sites in either Glasgow, Derby, Birmingham or Chippenham. You will help to provide and support signalling solutions to the world’s rail networks with the market leader in train control in the UK and globally.
Here is a taste of what you can expect from this apprenticeship scheme:
· Learn to capture detailed requirements, design, implement, test, install and maintain signalling control systems
· Learn/improve your software knowledge and skills as you may be required to write, analyse, test and integrate various software systems and databases.
· Delve into the world of Networking. IP technology is becoming increasingly prevalent in today’s railway, with more and more projects moving towards this technology. You will be exposed to Network Design, as well as getting hands on with configuring and testing networks in our lab area.
· Work on real projects which may include re-signalling parts of the UK rail network, developing the latest signalling control system technology, implementing traffic management systems and producing accurate simulations of the operations of rail infrastructure.
· Develop excellent knowledge of technical standards and processes associated with the transport and process industries.
· Become a STEM ambassador and participate in various volunteering events, such as Greenpower, Big Bang Fair and much more.
· Collate evidence during the apprenticeship scheme in preparation for professional registration, such as EngTech.
· Participate in the Apprentice ‘Swap Scheme’, an exchange programme allowing apprentices to experience different areas of the business.
With the training received and experience gained by the end of year 3, you will be able to produce a portfolio of work-based evidence which will enable you to complete your vocational competency qualification and help you to achieve an “Institute of Railway Signalling Engineers” (IRSE) license which is recognised globally. The knowledge and skills gained whilst on the programme will enable you to support the Signalling design function ensuring the timely delivery of globally renowned, high quality, Railway Signalling and Control solutions.
Here is how the programme works:
· When you join the business, you will be allocated to a control system signalling delivery team where you will work under mentorship on our current projects on a rotation basis.
· At the same time, you will be signed up to the academic element of your apprenticeship. To support your studies, 20% of your standard weekly working hours will be spent studying for your degree. (20% off the job study time throughout your apprenticeship is still paid for).
· By the end of your apprenticeship, you will have gained the knowledge and skills to become a Control Systems Signalling delivery specialist as well as a Digital and Technology Solutions degree.
There is an expectation of the apprentice to finish the elements of the structured learning plan, attendance to all performance evaluations, rotations across the business as well as developing your professional competence throughout.
· We are looking for forward-thinking, inquisitive candidates that demonstrate the following characteristics:
· You think logically, willing to self-learn and research, and take a creative approach to problem solving.
· You have a strong background in Maths and English.
· You enjoy collaborating with others to find innovative solutions.
· You can work independently, safely and responsibly; take ownership of challenges and ideas and are looking to develop your ability to drive and lead change.
· Identify with our values of Zero Harm, Innovative, Excellent and Responsible. We can teach you the knowledge on your apprenticeship however it also means a lot to us for you to align to our culture and behaviours.
Minimum Educational Requirements:
3 A Levels (or BTEC equivalent) at grade C or above.
The benefits of a degree apprenticeship:
· Continue your learning beyond college/school whilst earning a competitive salary of £20,000 at the same time as well as an annual bonus!
· Have the chance to join a community of highly skilled professionals who will help you on your learning journey
· Stay at the forefront of innovation by joining Europe's leading engineering and technology company
· Join our flexible benefits scheme with access to private medical care, discounted cinema tickets and gym membership and so much more!
What else do I need to know?
We’re looking for forward-thinking teammates with the aptitude and attitude to succeed in the world of railway control systems. Think this is you? Apply Now.
If we all thought the same, we would never think of anything new. That’s why we recruit great minds from all walks of life. We embrace diversity and create what’s right for the world by employing the people who live in it.
Siemens recognise that building a diverse workforce is critical to the success of our business. We strongly encourage applications from a diverse talent pool and welcome the opportunity to discuss flexibility requirements and workplace adjustments with all our applicants to encourage agile working and innovation.
Organization: Siemens Mobility
Company: Siemens Mobility Limited
Experience Level: not defined
Full / Part time: Full-time