Job ID: 292723
Job Family: Sales
Mode of Employment: Full time only
Siemens is currently recruiting for aBusiness Development Engineer within the Rail organisation, tobe responsible for the realisation of sales and profit targets consistent with business strategy. The Business Development Engineer can be based at Euston, Northampton, Southampton or Manchester although the role will require regular travel to other depots. This new role would suit an individual that has experience working in rail maintenance depots, and is looking to develop their skills within a sales team.
The purpose of the role is to win new business by managing a bid process in support of new trains or as a service offering alone. The Business Development Engineer will be part ofa multi-functional team of experts and will interface with internal partners, customers and suppliers at all levels of their respective organisations. Tasks include managing stakeholder relationships, developing sales proposals, negotiating and closing deals, acting as voice of the customers internally and analyzing a specific customer need to build customer specific value propositions based on solutions offered.
Bids range in value from a few £million to several £100s million, and in time from weeks to years and as such flexible working, innovation and a proactive approach is needed to create solutions, manage risk and to win new business.
What are my responsibilities?
· Lead a bid opportunity from inception to a conclusion, interfacing with customers, suppliers and internal partners to ensure that the service offering is competitive.
· Ensure all risks are understood, maintained within the business risk register.
· Work with Commercial Partner to negotiate and close deals.
· Check quality and ensure internal approvals of content by relevant stakeholders.
· Evaluation of customer requirements, prequalification documents, train manufacturer proposals and tender documents to develop and implement winning tender strategies.
· Effective transfer from acquisition and sales phase to implementation.
Technical Input to bids
· Providing support to a range of bid opportunities using technical expertise, working with other bid team members.
· Ensure that bid proposal documents contain strong technical solutions that meet the customer and tender requirements.
· Obtain support from technical experts both internally and externally to maximize the quality of the bid submission.
· Provide technical expertise in one or more of the following….
· Rail Engineering – Rolling Stock
· Operational Management of Rolling Stock Service Maintenance.
· Materials Management within Rolling Stock Service Maintenance.
· Rail Depot construction and Operational Management.
· Financial and Cost Modelling of Rolling Stock Service Provision.
Stakeholder Relationship Management
· Generate opportunities utilising your area of expertise that may be bid and sold to contribute to a strong Sales pipeline and facilitate meeting our sales targets, using knowledge of the industry and customers.
· Participation in the systematic and structured identification of product and service and other technological gaps and requirements of the Rolling Stock Business.
· Be responsible for leading the bid when a new opportunity becomes a formal bid, ensuring that bid timescales are met.
· Input into the Customer Relationship Management tool to ensure all customer opportunities are captured and well communicated within the team.
· Collaborate with wider Sales team to support the Sales strategy and approach to bids and opportunities.
Financial & Cost Modelling.
· The Siemens cost model is an established, multi-faceted tool to enable Siemens to price its bids competitively.
· Update, check and improve the Siemens Maintenance Cost Model.
· Work closely with the existing service business and associated departments to secure accurate life cycle cost and expenditure data in support of development of service and depots propositions.
· Validate and agree the Cost Model with the Siemens Commercial team.
Bid Proposal Writing
· Write input to bid documents to articulate Siemens proposition succinctly and accurately.
· Ensure input meets customer requirements and adequately responds to the customer’s questions.
· Ensure formatting conventions and tender timescales are met as directed by the Bid and Proposals team
Stakeholders & Interfaces:
UK Rail Systems Sales Team, Service, Projects and Commercial Team, Siemens AG Customers and Suppliers throughout the UK Rail industry.
What do I need to qualify for the role?
· An ability to communicate and explain clearly objectives and problems
· Technical and commercial understanding of aspects of the UK rail industry is essential
· Strong numeric and data analysis skills.
· An ability to manage multiple resources and requirements including development of strong team relationships in a matrix organisation as well with customers.
· Technical and commercial understanding of Siemens internally or a large, matrix organisation
· A good command of technical English with an ability to write and edit documents
· Ability to negotiate and contract with a customer.
How do I apply?
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability as we will use this data to review your suitability for the role.
What else do I need to know?
Siemens is dedicated to quality, equality, and valuing diversity, and we welcome applications that reflect the diversity of the communities within which we work.