3 Month Summer Engineering PlacementWe are looking for engineering students to join our Mainline Rail Automation department, a part of the Mobility division, on a 3 month Summer placement. Mobility is supplying answers to the questions of our time: How will cities solve the problems of increasing traffic? How can railway operators increase throughput, punctuality, and security of their systems? In short, what solutions are available to avoid the looming threat of total gridlock? All the mobility-related products, solutions, and services from Siemens are bundled in the Mobility Division.
As a valued member of the team, this role will enable you to learn to capture detailed requirements, design, implement, test, install and maintain SCADA/PLC control and monitoring systems and/or railway telecommunications. This role will also enable you learn/improve your software knowledge and skills as you may be required to write, analyse, test and integrate various software systems and databases. In addition, projects may also include Integrated Station Management, Passenger Information Systems, Remote Condition Monitoring systems, Operational and Retail Communications Systems.
You will develop excellent knowledge of technical standards and processes associated with the transport and process industries.
What are my responsibilities?
· Support the engineering team delivering high quality technical and engineering solutions for large multi-disciplined projects for clients related to Control and Information systems, primarily in the rail sector.
· Technically understanding our customer requirements and then ensuring that solutions are designed and implemented in a methodical manner under the supervision of engineering personnel whilst utilising industry best practices.
· Ensure products or projects are delivered in accordance with Siemens safety and quality/testing procedures and meet all applicable legislation, safety/customer standards and project requirements.
· Utilise Root Cause Analysis processes when solving problems.
This role is based within the Engineering Team and reports to the Training and Development Manager.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
· You must be studying towards an Telecommunications, Electrical , Electronics, Systems or Computer Engineering degree, aiming for a 2:2 or above
· Good written and verbal communication skills
· Excellent organisational and time management skills.
· Ability to deal with technical issues and make timely, sound decisions with minimal consultation
· Ability to develop a firm understanding and appreciation of system design, safety concepts and associated decision making within the relevant industries
· An understanding of quantifying and managing technical risk when involved with project work
· Appreciation of requirements management
What else do I need to know?
Our client portfolio includes Network Rail, Docklands Light Railway and London Underground. Project references include East Coast Main Line, Edinburgh Trams, Storebaelt and Interconnector. More information about our business unit can be found at www.siemens.co.uk/control .
Also, this role is a 3 Month Fixed Term Contract , starting in June/July2017. We look forward to receiving your application.
Siemens provides innovative solutions to help tackle the UK’s major challenges. Siemens has a significant presence throughout the UK, with 13 manufacturing sites and more than 25 major offices. Today the company employs over 13,760 people in the UK, including about 5,000 in the manufacturing sector. Last year’s revenues were £3.36 billion. Electrification, automation and digitalization are the long-term growth fields of Siemens. In order to take full advantage of the market potential in these fields, our businesses are bundled into nine divisions and healthcare as a separately managed business.
Siemens offers a comprehensive reward package which includes a competitive basic salary, bonus scheme, generous holiday allowance and pension. Through our flexible benefits scheme you can select benefits that best suit your lifestyle, including private healthcare.
How do I apply?
We are looking forward to receiving your online application. Please ensure you complete all areas, of the application form, to the best of your ability as we will use this data to review your suitability for the role.
What else do I need to know?
Siemens is dedicated to quality, equality, and valuing diversity, and we welcome applications that reflect the diversity of the communities within which we work.
If you are appointed in to this role you will receive standard Siemens terms, conditions and benefits.