Full time, Permanent, Plymouth or Maidenhead,
Schneider Electric is the global specialist in energy management. We hire individuals driven by a desire to impact the world. We are passionate about delivering innovative energy management solutions, making energy safe, reliable, efficient and green.
The Residential Controls business within the Schneider Electric group is a global provider of devices for heating, cooling, hot water and humidity control in domestic and small commercial installations. We are investing heavily in the design and development of smart products harnessing the Internet-of-Things to expand into new markets and leverage existing ones.
Our product range is designed by teams in Plymouth and Maidenhead, with manufacturing facilities in Plymouth, UK under the Drayton brand and in Nuremberg, Germany as Eberle Controls.
Purpose of the role
We are seeking a highly talented and self-motivated IoT Embedded Software Architect to work in our Plymouth or Maidenhead team. You will be responsible for delivering an efficient, maintainable and coherent product architecture for a wide range of home automation and IoT products, with a primary focus on Device-to-Cloud communications.
You will ensure that the software architecture across our range of smart home products is future-proof, secure, cost-effective and maintainable. You welcome architectural ownership, as well as hands-on development.
Your Key Responsibilities:
· Full lifecycle ownership of the definition, maintenance and implementation of embedded software architectures
· Detailed design, coding and validation of embedded C/C++ software, with a focus on advanced networking, Wi-Fi and TCP/IP-based comms
· Collaborate with product managers and systems engineers to ensure the timely delivery of new products according to agreed timescales
· Communicate the architectural vision to the development team, working closely with leaders of other development domains, including apps and cloud services team to ensure a coherent design.
· Work closely with other Schneider Electric Smart Home teams to align the Smart Heating product architecture with those of our other Smart Home product lines.
· Adopt in-house best practice for code integrity and design validation
· Ensure that the integrity of the system and software architecture is maintained throughout the lifecycle of the product
You will have a proven track record as a technical leader, capable of creating a design and communicating a vision which ensures development team buy-in. You will be a collaborator by nature, able to mediate between different technical viewpoints, and make tough prioritization calls where required.
As an embedded software architect, you will have a structured approach to design and verification with a demonstrably-detailed understanding of IP networks and connectivity with embedded products. You will be able to produce efficient embedded software architectures, designed in sympathy with resource-constrained platforms, and have a good appreciation of electronic hardware.
You will play a key role in the realization of leading edge smart home products. It is key that you can demonstrate a successful track record of embedded software delivery in your career to date. You will have a passion for design excellence and demonstrate outstanding technical competence.
Above all, we are looking for a big-picture thinker, able to not only understand the implications of architecture on individual products, but also on the wider interconnected system.
Essential skills and experience
· Excellent multi-threaded (RTOS/Linux) C/C++ embedded software development skills for resource-constrained environments
· Proven skills in delivering robust and pragmatic firmware architectures
· Demonstrable familiarity with networking protocols and concepts including TCP/IP client and server applications, JSON and REST APIs
· Knowledge of firmware development environments including compilers, debuggers, emulators and toolchains
· Degree in computer science, electrical/electronic engineering or equivalent
· Self-starting, demonstrating a high degree of initiative in accepting challenges in a fast-moving environment
· Working well in a close-knit team
· Experience of low-power wireless communications, such as Zigbee, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
· Demonstrable familiarity with modern C++, e.g. C++11 and/or C++14 standards
· Experience of revision control and source code management systems, especially Git
· Experience of software development for consumer products
Non-Technical Competencies Required:
· Resilient, recognizing that being a product architect comes with responsibility and accountability
· Excellent time management skills
· Open communicator
· Pro-active and collaborative team worker (in cross-functional teams including external development partners)
· The initiative to innovate and champion change
· Freely accepts and welcomes technical ownership
This is a great opportunity to join Schneider Electric and power your career! You will be joining an international, dynamic, and responsible company, with an enviable reputation in the market. Schneider fosters the development of all its’ people around the world. Every day, we empower employees to achieve more and experience exciting careers. Find out how our values and unique position make Schneider Electric the employer of choice – apply now online.
Diversity is our heritage and our future. Be a part of it.
At Schneider Electric, Diversity & Inclusion is at the heart of our organisation, it's an integral part of our history, culture and identity. We recognise that embracing diversity unlocks innovation and creativity and fosters collaboration. We want our employees to reflect the diversity of our communities and the customers we serve. As a result, our teams are stronger to drive the company's future.
We are open to a conversation about flexible working.
About Schneider Electric
Groupe industriel français fondé en 1838 par les frères Schneider, le groupe Schneider est renommé Schneider Electric en 1999 soulignant ainsi son expertise dans le domaine de l’électricité. Ses activités reparties entre la distribution électrique, l’automatisme et contrôles industriels, l’énergie sécurisée et les automatismes du bâtiment lui ont permis de dégager un chiffre d’affaires de 23,6 milliards d’euros en 2013.
En plus de son siège social situé à Rueil-Malmaison, la direction est répartie sur deux autres pôles, l’un à North Andover aux Etats-Unis, le second à Hong Kong. En 170 ans d’existence, Schneider Electric a su étendre son expertise à l’international et vend ses produits sur quatre marchés principaux : bâtiment, industrie, énergie-infrastructure et résidentiel.
Entreprise innovante et responsable, parmi les principaux clients du groupe se trouve : les infrastructures pétrolières, la Marine, les tableautiers mais aussi les constructeurs de machines et d’équipements. La philosophie du groupe : Make the most of your Energy.