Software Validation Engineer– Worthing, England
Eurotherm by Schneider Electric is a global manufacturer with 50+ year international reputation as a provider of innovative solutions across a broad spectrum of markets. Our goal is to improve the performance and effectiveness of customers' plant-wide assets.
As part of a dynamic R&D group, you will be responsible for the validation of embedded, PC and Cloud based software in a continuous integration environment using automated testing techniques wherever possible.
Our customers expect reliable, high performance, quality products and the validation team contributes towards achieving this company goal, by providing a software test service independent to that of the software engineers who design and implement the software.
· You would develop test strategies, design and implement continuous integration environments that use as much automation as is possible. Responsible for the validation of products and software tools to meet time to market targets.
· Cybersecurity is an area of interest for many of our customers. This role involve learning, executing tests and becoming expert in Cybersecurity and Robustness testing tools.
· Regression Automated tests are driven utilising Labview, TestStand or CODESYS Test Manager software. The role will involve learning and becoming the company expert in Labview, TestStand and Test Manager, establishing and documenting best practice.
· Labview, TestStand ,Test manager can be driven from the command line and are expected to be used together with our Jenkins build server. To do this knowledge of python will be required.
· Champion and represent the customer through the entire design, implementation and test cycle. Look for and expect improvements in software quality from the design teams. Request and argue for product changes to be made or defects fixed in order to improve quality and reliability.
· Responsible for defining overall test strategy, communicating vision, implement and manage validation activities in a safe manner using safe work practices and achieving project milestones.
· Work with R&D, Project Managers to schedule product test phases, request resources, report progress & issues, overcome problems and obstacles before they become blocking issues etc. Contribute to the reviewing of project documents – Functional Specifications, Design documents etc. Review other peoples work and provide good constructive comments.
· Plan and write software test plans and specifications. Read technical documents and liaise with Software Validation Manager and software engineers to learn about the products, predict areas likely to fail, plan and design tests, apply risk assessment, agree test deliverables, plan test schedule. Arrange and chair various software test reviews.
· Design and build test rigs. This involves compiling list of equipment required, collate equipment together, build into test rig and validate its performance and if fit for purpose. Take responsibility for test rig, keeping it maintained, up to date and support others using it.
· Implement test specifications and Record and examine test results. Review software issues with engineers and Report product/software defects describing the nature of the fault and providing clear instructions how to reproduce it. Submit test results to the Software Validation Manager or Software Engineers for review and approval.
· Provide regular reports to Project Manager regarding status of testing and/or test related activities. Attend regular project meetings and product release meetings reporting status and issues. Expected to speak openly on issues affecting quality/reliability and request/justify further testing or rework when necessary.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
The ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate knowledge in the following areas.
· Automated software testing
· Continuous Integration testing
· Cybersecurity and robustness testing
· LabVIEW, CODESYS, Python
· Software testing & testing methodologies
· Industrial communication protocols
· Performance/Robustness/Application type product testing, ideally in an embedded software/PC/Cloud based environment
· Networks – TCP/IP, Ethernet, Switches and others
· Defining test strategy
· Design and Implementation of manual/scripted software tests
· Test specification / report writing
· Test hardware and installation
· Software development lifecycle
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Electrical/Electronic engineering related discipline required.
· Fluent spoken and written English
We promote diversity and inclusion because we recognise they are a source of strength and competitive advantage. Creativity and innovation spring from a mixture of backgrounds and viewpoints. At Schneider Electric, we believe that helping you as an individual to realise your full potential will help the company overall to achieve outstanding results.
Please apply on line.