About the Opportunity
We are looking for a senior scientist in cryo-EM within the Bio Structure and Biophysics Department at Integrated Drug Discovery in Sanofi.
The position was created to take a lead role in furthering the development of cryo-EM and in light of the investment in a screening microscope by the company in the near future.
You will take a lead role in further establishing and streamlining the cryo-EM capabilities, and provide support and lead the structural efforts of eligible projects.
You will be highly focused and a team player, with a passion for structural biology and drug discovery.
About the Sanofi Business Unit
Bio Structure and Biophysics group accountable to inform drug discovery on various modalities projects across therapeutic areas and geographic Sanofi locations through determining 3D structure of targets, MOB for drug-targets complexes, identifying and characterizing hits, elucidating MOA and providing rational support to med chem and protein engineering activities.
About growing with us
In this role you will be responsaible to :
· Demonstrate independence in the operation of the microscope and expertise in the use of the EPU software. Experience with SerialEM is a plus.
· Liaise with Thermo Fisher and the cryo-EM community to keep up to date with all the technological advances in the field.
· Improve the sample preparation capabilities for the streamlining of the application of cryo-EM to projects. This will require knowledge of grid preparation such as carbon and graphene oxide coating and the use of special grids or strategies for each application.
· Expertise in cryo-EM data analysis software, in particular Relion, cisTEM, EMAN2 and cryosparc, but also ccpem, ccp4 and phenix for model building and validation.
· Experience in setting up sample tracking and data handling systems, working in close contact with the IT department. In particular, you will need to adapt the CADD cluster for the cryo-EM software. Envisage to seek data storage capability, both hot and cold.
· Maintain and be responsible for the running of the microscope. Train users to its basic use. Create an easy protocol for beginner users to democratise the use of the microscope. Align the microscope once a week to maintain a good quality of data screening on site and be the point of contact for technical support by Thermo Fisher.
· Identify and audit service providers and CROs for cryo-EM services.
· Manage students and scientists and share the knowledge with colleagues
· Actively contribute to projects by attending meetings and contributing to their strategy by providing structural information. Lead project structural subteams when present
· Troubleshoot and optimise samples; collaborating with protein biochemists in other groups.
· Maintain the electron microscopy team at the forefront of the technology
· Participate to scientific meetings and publish papers to demonstrate the excellence of Sanofi.
Qualifications/ Education & work experience :
· At least 4 years’ experience in independent handling of high-end microscopes, such as the Glacios, the Titan Krios or a Talos Arctica.
· A PhD, or equivalent experience with at least 6 years’ experience in electron microscopy, from protein biochemistry, sample preparation, to data analysis and structure solution.
· Experience with low resolution and membrane proteins structure solution.
· Experience with structure solution by crystallography.
· Previous experience in industry.
· Proven track record of cryo-EM knowledge through publication in peer reviewed science journals.
· Attention to detail and critical data analysis skills.
· Exceptional organisational skills with proven ability to deliver to tight timelines.
· Excellent communicating and team-working ability.
This is our Sanofi. Discover yours.
Link to Career page https://www.sanofi.com/en/careers/
Own your future. Make your move!
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.
As part of its diversity commitment, Sanofi is welcoming and integrating people with disabilities.