The Ceramic Processing group at SGR North America is searching for a Senior Research Engineer I. The Ceramic Processing group supports Business Units in the development of ceramic powders and components for industrial applications including structural, thermal, electrical, and abrasive applications. Saint-Gobain Research North America is looking for a driven, talented, and energetic research engineer to join our growing Ceramic Processing team. We are searching for an experienced, hands-on project leader to investigate, research, and develop new technologies that strengthen our offerings. The new team member will have the opportunity to leverage their engineering and materials expertise by leading their projects from the initial stages of conceptualization, prototyping and experimental testing, to the implementation in manufacturing. Projects will focus on process and product development activities and follow a Gate-based methodology with a focus in design/change control.
The successful candidate will be expected to lead a variety of broad research and development projects involving ceramic processing and characterization for a number of major business units. The candidate must be able to plan and execute experiments in the areas of ceramic powder preparation, green forming, and densification while linking these processing steps to component performance. The candidate will also perform testing in the areas of particle size characterization, rheology, surface area analysis, thermal analysis, and property testing. In addition, the candidate is expected to stay current with emerging technologies in ceramics and their applications, especially in competitive products. The candidate must be able to perform fundamental experiments, interpret results, and effectively communicate opinions and conclusions through both written reports and oral presentations.
The main job duties will include:
· Manages projects from inception through scale-up. Manages multiple projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget. Is able to balance creativity with process and documentation.
· Excellent communicator who is able to communicate technically with internal and external collaborators and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies.
· Analyze and interpret materials and process development research results, report results to customers and potential sponsors, and publish findings in technical reports; recommend next step solutions
· Understands Gate Process and Change/Design Control methodology/ideology and utilizes and incorporates it in projects.
· Utilizes broad technical background and experience to develop and/or improve products, processes, and performance and/or reduce costs within a major product area.
· Stays aware of new technology applications and competitive uses of same in work with materials, products and processes, and in development of new knowledge.
· Maintain proactive culture of safety by encouraging, empowering, and involving all staff in safety
· Demonstrated project management skills, team collaboration, and oral, written and visual communication skills.
· Ability to network/communicate within and out of group, as well as across disciplines.
· Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to: demonstration of hands-on new product and/or process development, familiarity with statistical tools, data analysis, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation.
· Individual must be versatile in using ceramic characterization instruments and powder processing methods.
· Prior experience in highly loaded systems and ink/paste development, solid mechanics, heat transfer, fracture mechanics, and/or numerical methods is a plus.
· Confident, independently-motivated self-starter.
· Demonstrated aptitude to quickly understand new concepts and technology and apply them.
· Respectful communication and ability to collaborate in a team environment required.
· Develop ability to maintain composure and organize teams in high pressure situation.
· Demonstrate adequate knowledge in HSE
BS Degree with a minimum of 7+ years’ experience, or MS with 3+ years of experience, or entry level Ph.D. in Ceramic Engineering, Material Science, or other related disciplines.
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.