The Tape Solutions R&D group at SGR North America is searching for a Research Engineer II. The candidate will be expected to design and execute experiments, analyze results, and present the findings in both written and oral formats in the areas of formulation, mixing, coating, foaming, web handling, and industrial scale-up processes. While not expected to be an expert in all these areas, the candidate must be able to research and understand new areas of process technology quickly. The projects will be executed laboratory experiments, pilot production tools at the R&D center, and scale-up in collaboration with our manufacturing sites. The candidate should enjoy learning, problem solving, and potentially designing new processes and process technologies.
Under the direction of the group leader, the candidate will design the formulation, produce lab scale samples, operate pilot scale equipment, assist plant trials, and analyze the experimental outcomes. In addition to designing experiments for the candidate’s primary projects, the candidate will be expected to conduct experiments to support projects led by others. The candidate should demonstrate an open and collaborative approach in all areas of responsibility and seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making.
· Knowledge of polymer materials and experience with material processing techniques (e.g., coatings, mixing/ compounding, foaming).
· Hands-on and able to run his/her own experiments or guide technician to run experiments, develop product prototype, support pilot scale processes and ensure correlation of lab and pilot processes into manufacturing processes.
· Manages projects from inception through scale-up. Ability to work independently on several projects simultaneously, on time, well documented and within budget.
· Excellent communicator who is able to communicate technically with people from a wide range of background and utilize knowledge to advance projects and identify productive synergies. Able to communicate and use business language in an industrial environment and coordinate with plant operations.
· Document accomplishments in clear and coherent technical reports and presentations.
· Possess a mind set for the value of proper and safe handling of chemicals and the environment.
· Experience with silicone materials is a big plus.
· Experience with programming for data analysis (R, Python, Matlab, Labview, etc.) is a plus
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 3+ years of experience or enrty level Masters in Chemical Engineering, Polymer Engineering, Plastic Engineering, Materials Science/ Engineering
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.