Saint-Gobain Tape Solutions is looking for a talented Research Engineer to join the Adhesives Systems R&D Team in our Hoosick Falls, NY facility. The team works closely with the commercial and operations groups to develop new products, solve customer challenges and improve our industrial processes. You will be expected to design and execute experiments, analyze results, and present the findings in both written and oral formats. Under the direction of the local R&D leader, you will formulate adhesives, produce lab scale samples, facilitate production trials, and analyze experimental outcomes. You will be expected to collaborate with R&D centers and production sites globally to ensure rapid development and industrialization of new adhesive solutions. In addition to new product development projects, you will be expected to support other plant functions and participate in local cross-functional teams.
Education, Skills and Requirements:
· Bachelors degree in a related field (chemistry, chemical engineering, polymers, materials)
· Experience with design of experiments and statistical interpretation of results
· Knowledge of chemical and/or mechanical characterization polymeric materials
· Familiarity with a chemistry lab setting and ability to work with chemicals in a fume hood
· Ability to work independently on several projects simultaneously
· Bring a positive and curious attitude towards solving technical issues encountered by operations/manufacturing
· Excellent oral and written communication skills are required to interact effectively with various functions including business, manufacturing, research, engineering, and operations.
· Ability to occasionally travel to vendors, customers and plant sites around the globe
· (preferred) Experience with polymer coating formulation and/or pressure sensitive adhesives
· (preferred) Relevant Co-op or internship experience
· (plus) Experience with office automation and advanced data analysis tools
· (plus) 3-5 years of relevant industrial experience
· New product development based on customer requirements
· Manages & facilitates RD projects including materials and process understanding
· Assists with planning and executing production trials
· Provides production and raw materials lab and technical support
· Manages additional projects as assigned based on technical service requests
· Leads projects using sound scientific practices, ensuring the projects are completed in an efficient and comprehensive manner
· Summarize results in written reports and present technical results to local and global management
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain’s innovations touch almost every major industry around the world,Composite Systems is comprised of three business units including Films & Fabrics, Tape Solutions and Thin Films. Our ambition is to provide innovative solutions that combine material science, processing technology and design to save energy, provide protection, improve comfort, and give peace-of-mind to our customers. Our unique performance is delivered by passionate people, empowered to collaborate closely with our customers and solve their toughest challenges.
Our team members recognize that we all create the environment for people to succeed, with a culture built on respect, open and honest communication, and honoring our commitments to our customers and each other. And at the heart of our culture, we’ve learned working together makes good ideas, great ones.
With a legacy dating back more than 350 years, Saint-Gobain offers employees the stability and security of a leading Global 500 corporation while operating like multiple small and agile start-ups, where entrepreneurial spirit, pioneering teamwork, and bold, forward-thinking ideas pave new paths.
Every team member is encouraged to develop and leverage their unique expertise and strengths to make the greatest impact on the company and our end users. At Saint-Gobain, you’re empowered and equipped with countless opportunities and resources for professional development. You will find the support you need to create a vision and roadmap for your career, and make that vision a reality.
Invent yourself at Saint-Gobain Composites, and together, let’s protect what matters most!
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.