Are you looking to join a well-established company where you can have a long and successful career? With over 350 years of history as a Company, Saint-Gobain’s purpose is “Making the World a Better Home.” Saint-Gobain is seeking a Quality Engineer II to join our team in Buckhannon, WV.
The Quality Engineer will report directly to the R&D and Quality Manager and will be responsible for ensuring the customer's requirements are met through all manufacturing processes in order to obtain the desired product characteristics.
The incumbent will actively participate as a valued member of the Q&PC Integrated Support Team (IST) to provide process and quality control guidance and technical support for the site’s three Integrated Process Teams. This role is accountable to ensure that key material/product characteristics are identified and verified at the completion of each manufacturing process step. This position entails active work in the areas of process control, the detection of defects and enhancement in quality control to verify and validate product acceptance.
The position focuses on overall Quality Management System to ensure quality standards are implemented and maintained throughout the Corhart facility in accordance with SEFPRO quality policies, applicable regulatory requirements, ISO requirements, and customer specifications/expectations. In addition to assisting the R&D and Quality Manager in the deployment and maturation of the WCM Quality & Process Control Pillar, the Quality Engineer serves as the site’s Focused Improvement champion and final authority with respect to material/product quality.
Behaviorally, the incumbent must be a high-energy, hands-on individual with strength of convictions -- a self-confident leader who, in part due to his/her personal presence, style, and demeanor, effectively sells ideas and solutions to others. Moreover, this person must have unquestioned integrity. This position has latitude for non-reviewed actions and the exercise of independent judgment and discretion within established policies and procedures and is expected to challenge the 'norm' and establish new standards/practices where necessary to ensure quality.
Quality Management System
• Responsible for site-wide ISO9001 compliance and certification
• Directs & oversees the planning, implementation and maintenance of the facility’s Quality System in keeping with the WCM PQC Pillar Steps & requirements
• Directs and oversees Document Control and review/approval of controlled documents
• Directs and oversees Supplier Quality Management and performance of supplier audits as appropriate
• Responsible for the implementation of Quality Risk Management in relevant aspects of the QMS Internal audit program and performance of internal audits
· Contributing member of the WCM Pillar for Quality and Process Control (QPC)
· Provides leadership & training to IST/IPTs utilizing WCM Focused Improvement toolbox for continuous improvement and the reduction of Q- losses
Customer Inspections and Red Carpet Program Management
· Participate in Red Carpet Program for all customer inspections as directed by SEFPRO Central Teams
· Be single point of contact for all customer inquiries related to product quality
· Be the “voice” of the customer in terms of making sure Corhart is 100% ready at the time of the customer inspection
Process & Quality Control
• Directly support the activities of the Lab Technicians, and Final Inspectors
• Plans and directs activities concerned with development, application, and maintenance of quality standards for processes, materials, and products.
• Oversee the establishment & implementation of product parameters as well as effective control methods to verify & validate material/product acceptance.
• Develops and initiates standards and methods for inspection, testing, and evaluation. Oversees calibration, control and maintenance of testing/lab equipment.
• Devises sampling procedures and designs and develops forms and instructions for recording, evaluating, testing measurement and analytical equipment and facilities
• Coordinate quality planning activities, develops and documents quality plans, including verification/qualification procedures of new and modified material and products.
• Lead focus teams and special projects to resolve systemic rejects including determination of root cause and correction in resolution of key quality issues affecting delivery/performance/cost
• Responsible for plant-level “Q” as part of the daily control system (DCS). Develops, tracks, and monitors Quality key performance indicators, including Q-losses
• Oversees the evaluation of rejects, product defects, and decisions regarding the status based on inspection criteria and customer specifications. ;Compiles, categorizes and documents plant-wide quality rejects & defect data
· Quality Concepts and tools such as sampling theory, statistical analysis, quality cost reporting, DOE, Lean, DMAIC, SPC, FMEA, Control Plans
· Strong knowledge of ISO 9001 requirements and relevant industry standard practices
· Experience participating in audits and implementing/maintaining quality management systems
· Comprehensive understanding of Lean / World Class Manufacturing principles and practices
· Demonstrated expertise in instrumental analysis, analytical interpretation, methodology and statistical analysis
· Computer proficiency, including a strong command of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
· Strong project management skills with emphasis on the design & development phases of product life-cycle
· Working knowledge and experience with GD&T
· Dedicated, self-starter with a high degree of motivation, able to make independent decisions
· Able to lead teams, include input from all team member and mold divergent opinions into one common direction
· Must use effective coaching techniques to develop a culture of employee engagement
Communicating and Influencing Skills:
· Ability to present complex ideas simply and clearly to all organizational levels
· Demonstrable personal attributes to effectively communicate and influence all levels of organization
· Capable of challenging the 'norm' and establishing new standards/practices with majority “buy-in”
· The Quality Engineer will lead quality and improvement activities using WCM Focused Improvement Tools and Kaizen methodologies. These activities, by their nature, explore areas that are often not understood by participants and require creativity and the ability to select effective tools/techniques to match the need and complete the project
· A Bachelor’s Degree is required in an Engineering or Technical/Science discipline
· Good understanding of mathematics, statistics, and material properties
· Advanced degree in Quality or Ceramic Engineering, preferred
Minimum 2 years of practical Quality department experience within a manufacturing environment
Experience in change management, as well as leading audits & implementing quality management systems
Process expertise and leading quality transformations, preferred
Licenses and Certification
· ASQ-CQE certification - Preferred
· Certified Green Belt or Black Belt and/or other advanced technical problem solving - Preferred
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain Ceramics Division regroups Saint-Gobain’s businesses specialized in ceramic-based solutions for industrial clients. Our product range spans from advanced ceramic grains and powders, to specialty refractories and ceramic systems. We offer “Material Solutions That Make a Difference”, in the sense that our ceramic products and services are mission-critical to our customers’ own applications. At the heart of industry, we pride ourselves in serving segment-leading customers across the world, through long-term, trust-based relationships. At Saint-Gobain, our people are our most valuable asset so we provide competitive base salary and incentive compensation packages to reward and recognize employees for their contributions toward the company's success.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.