What’s the Job?
The Production Manager of the Fabrication department is responsible to lead the manufacturing staff to world class levels in safety, product quality, operational efficiency, customer service, cost control, continuous improvement, employee engagement, and sustainable manufacturing practices at the L’Anse, Michigan ceiling panel plant. This position will be a key member of the Leadership team of the site – providing constant communication and interact with all departments to assure safety, quality, delivery and cost goals are met.
· Reports directly to the L’Anse Plant Manager; key part of management team.
· Leads Fabrication supervisors and hourly reports to safely meet production goals and strive for constantly improving efficiencies (e.g. yield, availability, reliability)
· Reports and acts on key performance indicators (KPIs) that are critical to plant operations
· Ensures the safe, effective and efficient utilization of labor, materials, equipment, and in-process inventories in the production of all products
· Working closely with the Production Supervisors and other departments, is responsible for skills improvement and training of all Fabrication employees
· Works in an effective and cross-functional manner with all members of the plant management team.
· Leads continuous improvement (CI) projects and autonomous maintenance training and activities to meet milestones and timelines.
· Assures good housekeeping practices (5S), enforces plant rules and safety regulations, counsels employees, and applies the provisions of the labor contract.
· Coordinates production with the Board Mill Department and other customer demands with maintenance work and project implementation
· Has latitude for non-reviewed actions and the exercise of independent judgment and discretion with established policies and procedure. Shares responsibility for department budgets and performance.
· Participates on projects with corporate resources, including engineering, product management, sales, and R&D
· Leads problem solving efforts for changes in products, processes, equipment, shipping schedules and personnel in a manner which will maintain or improve production efficiency, improve safety, product quality and customer satisfaction
· Participates in budget approvals for the launch of programs in the plant both in terms of expenses and capital investments
· Performs other related duties and responsibilities as needed and / or requested by management
What do you bring?
· Bachelor’s degree in technical field e.g. mechanical, manufacturing, or industrial engineering
· 2-4 years of experience in the application of this knowledge to plant activities of which 2 years should have involved supervisory, scheduling and production related activities
· Relevant experience in manufacturing is required
· Have the ability to provide Leadership and innovation at all organizational levels, adaptability, customer and supplier focus, good written and oral communication.
· Requires basic proficiency with Microsoft Office; functional familiarity with DCS, MES and ERP systems
· Previous supervisory experience
· Excellent communication and collaboration skills
· Change management and conflict management skills
· Results driven, flexible and open-minded with good written and oral communication
· Previous experience in mineral fiber ceilings manufacturing.
· Proven ability with success to be an outstanding coach and leader.
· 6-8 direct reports (supervisors and planning) roughly 80 hourly production employees
Who are we ?
Why work for us?
At Saint-Gobain, our employees have pride in belonging to an organization whose culture is made up of these core values: Trust, Empowerment, & Collaboration. Our company encourages diversity and inclusion in all its forms while making the world a more beautiful and sustainable home.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.