We are currently seeking to fill an Architectural Designer role in Northboro, Mass., which would report to the Design Group Leader within CertainTeed Platforms. Under the direction of the group leader, the designer will work closely with the team to assist in the design and development process including; research, conceptualizing, prototyping (rapid and traditional), visualization, and fabrication support.
This is an opportunity for an entrepreneurial designer to help develop truly innovative systems and assemblies with significant ecological, sensorial, and aesthetic impact on the built environment in both the US and globally. Further, the right candidate will be an active contributor and an enthusiastic learner in an intellectual environment comprising colleagues from diverse fields of design, science, and engineering.
· Exhibits creativity in selecting approaches and techniques for obtaining solutions
· Has a bias for action and agile methods, is unafraid to try things as a way of learning
· Troubleshoots and resolves problems through design iteration process
· Supports senior designers, engineers, and scientists in R&D team with their projects
· Manages and documents projects and tasks effectively with supervision
· Presents data internally and contributes to external publications when appropriate
· Seeks out others to enhance and streamline development and decision making
· Fabricates or coordinates fabrication for product prototyping efforts
· Evaluates decisions with a sustainable mindset
· Comfortable with transitions from one task to another with involvement in multiple ongoing projects at various stages of development
· Comfort with basic prototyping and fabrication equipment (3D Printers, CNC, Laser Cutter, hand and power tools)
· Ability to convey ideas through visual means
· Demonstrated ability to identify and solve problems of moderate scope
· Project management skills, team collaboration, and oral and written communication skills
· Must possess a body of technical work commensurate with their years of experience including but not limited to: demonstration of strong graphic and presentation skills, hands-on prototyping, and drawing conclusions based on a collection of basic data and interpretation
· Demonstrated adequate knowledge in HSE
· Sustainable mindset
· Familiarity with building codes and material testing standards for building products
· Ability to communicate within and outside of group through strong written and verbal communication skills
· BA/BS Architecture Degree, or MArch from an accredited university, a with a minimum of 3 years of experience
· Excellent design skills as demonstrated by a portfolio of academic and/or professional design work.
Who are we ?
Saint-Gobain Research (SGR) North America is one of Saint-Gobain’s largest industrial research laboratories. The center is home to more than 400 employees working at the leading edge of innovation on multidisciplinary industrial research, preparing the future by designing tomorrow's products and processes across an amazing variety of markets and technical disciplines. Since 1985, SGR North America has been supporting existing businesses, developing future businesses, and nurturing talent.
Saint-Gobain designs, manufactures and distributes materials and solutions which are key ingredients in the wellbeing of each of us and the future of all. They can be found everywhere in our living places and our daily life: in buildings, transportation, infrastructure and in many industrial applications. They provide comfort, performance and safety while addressing the challenges of sustainable construction, resource efficiency and climate change.
Saint-Gobain provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Saint-Gobain is an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and supports the hiring of veterans.