· Job facts
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Scientific Researcher/Principal Scientific Researcher to join the Cytometry Biomarker group within Development Sciences. Our group is responsible for designing and implementing biomarker assays for programs in clinical development at Genentech in immunology, immuno-oncology, hematological oncology, and other new therapeutic areas.
The successful candidate will join our dynamic team and work to design and implement flow cytometry biomarkers in early and late stage clinical trials of novel therapeutics in our growing pipeline. The desired candidate will have a solid understanding of immunology and cancer biology; demonstrate strong expertise in immunological cell subsets such as effector and regulatory T, B, and/or monocyte subsets; and understand the biomarkers used in flow cytometry to identify these populations in vivo.
· Attention to detail, good communication, and collaboration skills will be essential to excel in this position
· Proven cell biology expertise working with a variety of sample types including whole blood, bone marrow, cell lines and single-cell suspension from tissue samples is expected
· Ability to design and execute the development and validation of 8+ color cytometry assays is essential
· Experience with and enthusiasm for higher complexity (+18 color) cytometry platforms is preferred
· Experience with advanced bioinformatics tools (e.g. ‘R' scripts, spotfire) for analyzing and visualizing biomarker data is highly valued
· Strong analytical skills and judgment in assessing the quality of assay data and assay performance will be needed to be successful in this role
· Must be self-motivated, able to multi-task, and meet timelines efficiently and productively
Scope of Position:
This position will report to the Senior Scientific Manager of the Cytometry Biomarker group within the Development Sciences Division of Genentech Research and Early Development. The individual will lead development and execution of cytometry biomarker activities supporting one or more molecules and indications in the non-oncology and oncology disease areas to better understand mechanisms of drug action, response and resistance. Scope of biomarker activities will span predictive, pharmacodynamic, and prognostic biomarkers as well as response markers such as MRD (minimal residual disease).
B.A./B.S. or M.S degree in life sciences, with at least 3 years of relevant experience, preferably in the industry setting, is required. A strong knowledge of flow cytometry is essential, with proficiency in traditional manual gating approaches such as FCS Express or FloJo®. Candidates with enthusiasm and experience to adopt advanced analytical tools such as unsupervised and supervised automated analysis (e.g. tSNE, FLOWDensity, FLOWSom)will be given preference. Hands-on lab experience with human cell based assays is preferred. The candidate must demonstrate a high level of independence and be able to develop hypotheses and analysis plans for immunology and oncology associated cytometry biomarker data. The candidate will have a demonstrated ability to function as part of a cross-functional team. Strong writing and communication skills are required, as evidenced by publications and/or drug development reports. Experience with outsourcing flow cytometry assays to contract research organizations (CRO) is highly desirable.
· Who we are
A member of the Roche Group, Genentech has been at the forefront of the biotechnology industry for more than 40 years, using human genetic information to develop novel medicines for serious and life-threatening diseases. Genentech has multiple therapies on the market for cancer & other serious illnesses. Please take this opportunity to learn about Genentech where we believe that our employees are our most important asset & are dedicated to remaining a great place to work.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.