· Job facts
Scientist I, Sample Prep
Roche Sequencing Santa Clara is developing nanopore-sequencing technology to improve the lives of people in a wide variety of applications, including the timely screening of newborns for diseases and the diagnosis of cancers and infectious diseases. Roche is looking for a motivated and team-oriented individual who is passionate about finding new ways to address these urgent needs. As a Scientist I, you will design and perform experiments to improve sample prep for Roche nanopore sequencing instrument. The candidate must be self-motivated and able to work well in a team environment.
Who we are
At Roche, 94,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we've become one of the world's leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Who you are
You're someone who wants to influence your own development. You're looking for a company where you have the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Where a job title is not considered the final definition of who you are, but the starting point.
· Assist with planning and execution of sample library prep experiments for sequencing.
· Perform all work using best laboratory practices and maintain a well-organized and concise record of work performed and progress made.
· Make recommendations to resolve problems encountered during experimental procedures.
· Analyze experimental data using various data analysis software and/or applying quantitative methods and present findings at internal meeting.
· Collaborate and work closely with cross-functional teams.
· B.S. or M.S. in Biological/Life Sciences, Chemistry, Biochemistry or related field with 0-2 years of work experience.
· Experience with DNA quantification/characterization and DNA manipulation techniques such as PCR amplification, restriction digestion, ligation and purification.
· Good understanding of the fundamentals of molecular biology, biochemistry or related discipline
· Experience with Next-generation sequencing is a strong plus
· Strong wet lab skills and experience in experimental design
· Ability to work well in teams and across disciplines with complex systems.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· The candidate should be passionate and self-motivated with a strong desire to acquire on-the-job training