· Job facts
In Pharma Research & Early Development (pRED) we are setting up a new Center
of Excellence (CoE) for Human Translational Bioengineering to advance our ability to use more predictive human model systems to accelerate drug discovery. You will be part of
a collaborative project between the Immunology and Infectious Diseases groups, sponsored by the CoE, with a common interest in establishing in vitro systems for respiratory research.
We are currently looking for a creative and experienced hands-on scientist to develop, validate, and apply advanced in vitro lung systems using primary human cells to study mechanisms of respiratory diseases such as Asthma, COPD, or viral infections. Your work will support our efforts to bring new targets into the portfolio and help advance them to the clinics.
This is a lab-based position and a collaborative project for 2 years sponsored by the CoE for Human Translational Bioengineering (HTB).
These responsibilities capture a portion of what your work will look like:
· Develop, validate, and apply advanced in vitro models of the respiratory tract (air-liquid interface (ALI) cultures, organoids) as well as co-cultures with immune cells
· Establish relevant in vitro experiments to characterize cell cultures (e.g. mucociliary clearance, inflammation)
· Develop a genome editing strategy using primary human cells for target discovery/validation
· Work in cooperation with Research Associates and Scientists from Immunology and Infectious Diseases groups
· Analyze data using appropriate statistical methods and present data in a professional format suitable for external publication
· Act as an experienced resource and demonstrate clear and professional verbal and written communication
· Build a cross-department network of colleagues working on Human Translational Bioengineering projects
Who we are
At Roche, 98,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we've become one of the world's leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
Who you are
You're someone who wants to influence your own development. You are looking for a company where you receive the opportunity to pursue your interests across functions and geographies. Working in a multicultural environment motivates you. You have very good interpersonal and communication skills, are able to build good working relationships, and are an outstanding teammate. As a fast learner, you actively drive the quality of the projects assigned to you. Your experience and investigative attitude allow you to work independently, to design, perform, and interpret experiments, and to embark on new scientific methodologies.
In addition you bring the below qualifications:
· You possess a PhD degree in Life Sciences (cellular/molecular biology, pharmacology, immunology or microbiology), or a closely related discipline with 0-3 years post PhD/post-doctoral experience.
· Strong technical and theoretical background/expertise in (lung) epithelial biology
· Extensive hands-on experience with the development, validation and application of complex in vitro systems (organoids, air-liquid interface (ALI)), preferably in the area of (lung) epithelial barriers, mucosal immunology, or infections of the respiratory tract
· Experience in gene editing (CRISPR-Cas9) preferred
· Experience with lab automation is a plus
· Scientific accomplishments and successful collaborations documented by publications in high-impact journals
· Ability to effectively present scientific data and concepts to colleagues and teams is essential
· Skillfully able to interact effectively with people, both internally and externally
· You can communicate fluently in English
· Excellent data management and record-keeping skills
If you are proud of contributing and feel you have the dedication to teamwork and innovation that we are seeking, then Roche is the organization for you. Every role at Roche plays a part in making a difference to patients' lives. If you want to work in a passionate team, make your mark & improve lives, apply now.
Are you ready to apply? We want someone who thinks beyond the job offered - someone who knows that this position can be a rare springboard to many other opportunities at Roche.
Roche embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
If you have questions, please check our FAQs and videos on careers.roche.ch/faq .
Roche is an equal opportunity employer
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
Research & Development, Research & Development > Research