· Job facts
Next-generation genomic sequencing is a new frontier. The complexity and sheer size of the data in the life sciences will make astronomical data problems look modest. Roche Sequencing is not only changing science , but we are changing lives. Our software teams are laying the groundwork for the future by developing powerful bioinformatics algorithms, data analysis tools, and software/systems infrastructures so researchers and clinicians can make better health decisions faster. The path to curing cancer lies in ones and zeros.
Are you passionate about building products that scientists and others in the life sciences will use to diagnose, find treatments, and eventually beat diseases like cancer? If so, we want to hear from you. Our team builds the highly scalable, reliable software and secure systems for better diagnostics.
As a Principal DevOps Software Engineer you will actively interface with software developers, product managers, test engineers and administrators on projects d to design and develop the build, release, and deploy toolchain for DevOps while providing on-call support. You should be able to identify, troubleshoot and resolve issues quickly and effectively, sometimes under pressure. Responsibilities include capacity planning, high availability engineering, performance tuning, and automation/tools development.
You should have strong leadership skills, experience managing infrastructure through multiple product releases, and have a passion for reliability and security. Work with management to set priorities, track operational metrics. Excellent communication skills and teamwork is a must!
· Design and develop the build, release, and deploy toolchain for DevOps
· Setup, manage and maintain parity across dev, staging and production application environments in cloud infrastructure
· Provide release cadence across multiple environments
· Prototype and develop cloud native architecture solutions for application needs
· Design and implement monitoring infrastructure development
· Provide occasional 16X5 on-call shift support for production operations
· Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Science, Engineering or a related field, and a minimum of 8 years of experience in Software Reliability Engineering/Systems Engineering/DevOps role is required; or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform at this level
· Strong ability to architect development toolchains and cloud infrastructure
· Strong knowledge of Linux systems and internals (Ubuntu preferred)
· Experience in creating software to automate production systems with one of the following languages: python, ruby, java, go, etc. Python/Ruby experience is preferred
· Strong working knowledge of AWS Cloud infrastructure (EC2, RDS, VPC peering, Route53, S3, Autoscaling) or hybrid environments (OpenStack)
· Experience with container technology including Kubernetes and Docker
· Good understanding of networking and related protocols; must have a strong understanding of fundamentals (HTTP, DNS, TLS)
· Proficiency with source control, continuous integration (eg: git, jenkins)
· Demonstrate experience troubleshooting problems and working with a team to resolve web scale production issues
· Strong experience with configuration management, monitoring and systems tools (ie: Salt, Ansible, Nagios, Graphite, Fluentd, etc.). Ansible is preferred
· Good understanding of Mysql, Postgres databases
· Experience working with cloud-based technologies (CloudFlare CDN, Qualys WAS is highly desirable
· Drive to build robust automated logging, monitoring, and alerting systems with tools such as SumoLogic, CloudWatch, AppDynamics
· Exposure to messaging pub/sub systems (eg: RabbitMQ, Active-MQ, Kinesis, Kafka etc.)
· Troubleshooting critical development systems (Build failures, critical web services)
· Experience with Release Management processes and controls
· Experience with Linux package management tools eg: rpm, deb & fpm etc.
· Exposure to Security technologies related to perimeter security, web application scanning and firewall systems
· Additionally, a working knowledge on one of distributed systems technologies (eg: Hadoop, HBase, Cassandra, Zookeeper, Consul, etc.)
· Familiarity with NoSQL technologies eg: redis, dynamodb
· Experience with sensitive software products such as medical, financial, human safety, high security
Roche is an equal opportunity employer.
Research & Development, Research & Development > Devices, Systems and Solutions
· Who we are
At Roche, 98,000 people across 100 countries are pushing back the frontiers of healthcare. Working together, we've become one of the world's leading research-focused healthcare groups. Our success is built on innovation, curiosity and diversity.
Roche is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.