Do you want to be part of our dynamic and high-paced P&G environment? If yes, we would like you to join us as a Patent Counsel in Procter & Gamble’s Asia Legal organization. The position is located at P&G’s Singapore Innovation Center and supports the company’s R&D operations in Singapore. The successful candidate will have independent responsibility for one or more given technology areas within the company’s overall Asia operations.
The role requires technical mastery in the respective areas of patent law. Identify connections among legal theories, business problems, the external legal environment, and overall risk management in the intellectual property (IP) area. This is accomplished through intellectual property client counseling and related services such as patent application preparation & prosecution, agreements, freedom to practice opinions, agreement preparation and negotiation, providing support for IP enforcement, training for P&G personnel, IP/patent matters, and compliance.
What Success Looks Like
· A strategic legal partner to the business solving problems creatively and resolving our business partners’ legal needs across critically meaningful, challenging and dynamic legal spaces.
· Strong demonstration of leadership skills; willingness to engage in, and take the lead for, building creative strategies and solutions to legal and business problems
· Manage patent-related work for one or more business units within Asia, including:
· Conducting freedom-to-practice clearances for new products, processes and initiatives;
· Drafting and prosecuting patent applications;
· Supporting invalidation of competitive patents or defense of P&G patents against invalidations filed by competitors; and
· Collaborating with outside counsels to enforce P&G patents;
· Serve as the single point of contact for a selected group of R&D clients to develop:
· Holistic IP strategy to protect innovations;
· Comprehensive IP risk management plan for product/initiative launches in global or regional markets; and
· IP trainings for R&D clients, through live/virtual training sessions or hands-on coaching; and monitor patent-relative legislative changes in Asia to timely inform and influence internal and external stakeholders.
· BS, MS, and/or PhD in technical field from university. Suitable fields include life sciences, chemistry, engineering, etc
· Preferably but not necessarily, with 1-2 years of relevant work experience (i.e., at a law firm or a multinational company) in:
· Patent preparation/prosecution;
· Freedom-to-practice assessments and opinion drafting;
· Infringement/validity/invalidity assessment and opinion drafting; and
· Patent enforcement and litigations.
· Strong analytical skills as well as the ability to work individually and on a team
· An ability to communicate and present information clearly and concisely, and to make presentations and recommendations to business management on areas of legal risk and situation management.
· Strong interest in IP, willing to learn about patent practices, and committed to obtain Singapore or foreign patent certification
· Position is for a local position in Singapore with expectation of having/developing regional expertise.
· Have global interaction with legal, business, and technical counterparts and colleagues.
· Additional IP (e.g., TMs and copyrights) and/or commercial experience is advantageous.
· Fluent in English with good written and verbal communication skills. All communications and work products are executed in English, e.g., invention patent applications and freedom-to-practice opinions.
· Preferably, high level of proficiency in Mandarin Chinese. Able to communicate with Chinese R&D clients and outside counsels verbally and in writing.
We produce globally recognized brands, and we grow the best business leaders in the industry. With a portfolio of trusted brands as diverse as ours, it is paramount our leaders are able to lead with courage the vast array of brands, categories and functions. We serve consumers around the world with one of the strongest portfolios of trusted, quality, leadership brands, including Always®, Ariel®, Gillette®, Head & Shoulders®, Herbal Essences®, Oral-B®, Pampers®, Pantene®, Tampax® and more. Our community includes operations in approximately 70 countries worldwide.
Visit http://www.pg.com to know more.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship, disability, HIV/AIDS status, or any other legally protected factor.