Netflix is the world's leading streaming entertainment service with 208 million paid memberships in over 190 countries enjoying TV series, documentaries, and feature films across a wide variety of genres and languages. Members can watch as much as they want, anytime, anywhere, on any internet-connected screen. Members can play, pause and resume watching, all without commercials or commitments.
Who we are:
Netflix strives to entertain the world by bringing our members joy and connecting them with compelling content. Our culture recognizes that this requires consistently good judgment, and to inform that judgment, we need to process a great deal of data. The Data Platform team is responsible for providing the infrastructure supporting all data within Netflix; this includes our Big Data platform, operational and unstructured data stores, data transport and processing layers, and reporting solutions, to name a few.
As Netflix’s business grows, we will have more data from multiple origins available for our users to analyze. That will make it even harder for our users to work with the data as it increases complexity. To meet the needs of our customers, we need to ensure we build a platform that gets out of the users’ way and just works with minimal effort, so they can focus on creating and providing the best content possible for our members. We need a technology leader who understands how to build tools that unlock the value of our data, give guidance on which tools to create, and how they all fit together to provide a seamless experience.
What you will do:
· Collaborate and drive the technical vision for the Data Platform (and the Platform in general).
· Engage with multiple teams both inside and outside the Data Platform to work on the execution of the technical vision.
· Drive architecture as a discipline within our group.
· Have an eye for challenges arising at the seams and cracks of different technologies.
· Build strong, collaborative relationships with our partner organizations, helping to align our technical efforts with external needs.
· Clearly and crisply communicate architectural decisions, plans, and standards for the products we create and support.
Why you will succeed:
· You have the gift of being able to see clear technical solutions to complex data problems.
· You love data and don’t think it’s bizarre to be passionate about it.
· You love to express your vision about where things could go, and enjoy lively, respectful discussions about technical topics.
· Your communication skills (written and spoken) are something you pride yourself on. You understand, when communicating complicated ideas, less is more.
· You are energized by large impactful initiatives that require alignment and coordination across many different technical organizations.
· Once you’ve presented your vision, you know how to bring people along.
· You care very deeply about creating teams that model psychological safety and inclusivity, where engineers can do their best work.
· You understand that diplomacy and relationship building is as essential as a strong technical vision.
· You value “simple” as a design goal and recognize that simple and easy are very much not the same thing.
A few more things about us:
As a team, we come from many different countries and our fields of education range from the humanities to engineering to computer science. Our team includes product managers, program managers, designers, full-stack developers, distributed systems engineers, and data scientists. Folks have the opportunity to wear different hats, should they choose to. We strongly believe this diversity has helped us build an inclusive and empathetic environment and look forward to adding your perspective to the mix!
Our culture is unique, and we tend to live by our values, so it’s worth learning more about Netflix here .