A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
We are seeking a Scientist for our Mars Wrigley Engineering Technology Center in Chicago, IL.
The Scientist works closely with the pilot plant, R&D and segment Q&FS teams to ensure that the quality management process ran in the pilot plant(s) is efficient, effective and is integrated with segment programs. The standards and requirements are set by the Mars QMP, Mars Q&FS standards and regulatory requirements (e.g. FSMA). This position ensures that pilot plant(s) can produce test market production by meeting all Quality & Food Safety requirements, including product quality and regulatory compliance.
What would your key responsibilities be?
· Set-up and run appropriate Q&FS processes to enable pilot plant(s) to operate and to manufacture test market product efficiently.
· Integrate pilot plant quality programs (Internal Audits, Corrective Actions, Management Review) into segment programs.
· Support food safety and quality risk assessments for materials, processes and finished goods.
· Develop and maintain pilot plant GMP’s and HACCP-based food safety plans as needed to facilitate safe and efficient production.
· Lead HACCP/HARPC and Food Defense Teams.
· Develop and track compliance to Pilot Plant training program.
· Ensure document creation, control and record management (training, regulated materials, project Q&FS reviews, etc.).
· Represent pilot plant quality on improvement teams to continually improve the quality and food safety program.
· Manage Q&FS KPIs and ensure input into pilot plant meetings.
· Ensure rigorous inbound quality programs for inventory of raw materials and pilot plant supplies.
What are we looking for?
· Bachelor’s Degree with three (3) plus years relevant technical work experience required.
· Five (5) plus years relevant technical work experience preferred.
· R&D, manufacturing or quality assurance positions with GMP/HACCP working knowledge.
· Fluent with MS Word and Excel, database entry and management and document control.
· PCQI certification preferred.
· Lead Auditor certification preferred.
What can you expect from Mars?
· The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
· An industry competitive salary and benefits package.
· To be respected and valued.
· The Five Principles at the center of every decision.
· The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Job Segment: Scientific, R&D Engineer, Engineer, Document Management, Database, Engineering, Technology