A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Job Title: Maintenance Planner/Scheduler
The planner/scheduler is responsible for the planning and scheduling of all maintenance activities performed in the area to which the planner/scheduler is assigned utilizing sound planning practices, which includes efficient utilization of labor, parts, materials, and outside vendor services. The planner/scheduler maintains liaisons and coordination between maintenance and other departments; maintains appropriate records and files to permit meaningful analysis for reporting on the effectiveness of the maintenance planning and scheduling and its impact to the business. Analyze maintenance performance and recommends actions to improve performance.
Schedule maintenance activities that maintain or promote reliability of the equipment in the facility.
Determine needed materials, labour and equipment needed to complete maintenance activities.
Maintains work order records for equipment repair
Communicates work plans to associates and customers
Track maintenance KPIs
Context and Scope
· The planner/scheduler is the principal contact and liaison person between the maintenance department and the plant departments served by maintenance. The planner/scheduler ensures the operations area, to which the planner/scheduler is assigned, receives prompt, efficient and quality service from the maintenance department. The planner/scheduler ensures the maintenance department is given the opportunity to provide this service.
· The planner/scheduler receives all work orders from the requesting associates, except for unplanned (breakdown) work. Unplanned work is requested of the appropriate on-shift maintenance technician.
· Reviews and assures work orders are properly filled out:
· Work scope clearly described
· Check if the priority and requested completion dates are realistic and provide practical lead-time
· Charge numbers and other coding are complete and accurate
· Authorization is proper
· Discusses the details with the originator of the work order
· Assures that work requested is needed. If the business value of the request is questioned and not readily resolved, the work order will be reviewed with operations and the maintenance manager. This includes generating rough cost estimates and potential cost saving estimates.
· Reviews with maintenance manager those work orders requiring engineering design.
· Examines jobs to be done and determines best way to accomplish the work. Consults with requester, area manager, or maintenance manager when necessary.
· Identifies and obtains necessary materials, work instructions, manuals, appropriate tools, etc. to execute the planned work order
· Evaluate options to accomplish work to determine least cost alternatives
· Planner/scheduler should have complete knowledge of each department's activities in order to effectively and efficiently schedule work orders in their area of responsibility.
· Reviews the estimate of the current day's schedule status and forecast of associate availability daily to determine if rescheduling is required
· Plans and schedules preventive maintenance work in coordination with operations and maintenance managers.
· If work contracted to outside vendor, the planner/scheduler assures the scope and costs of the work is clearly defined, purchase orders are approved, and equipment will be available for the work performed. Additionally, the planner will assure the contractor personnel adhere to Mars contractor rules and regulations.
· Analyzes maintenance performance metrics such as: accuracy of work plan estimates (time, labor, and materials), percent work orders awaiting scheduling, schedule compliance, overtime, contracted maintenance costs, overdue work orders, and returned work orders to improve work planning. Review analysis and recommended corrective actions with maintenance manager.
· Performs other tasks and special assignments as requested by the maintenance manager
· This position and all site associates are responsible for quality and food safety.
Education & Professional Qualifications
· High School diploma, GED, or equivalent and one of the following:
· Successful completion of a certified maintenance apprentice program
· Successful completion of a 2-year Associate Degree program in an electrical/mechanical career field
· Equivalent training/experience in a technical career field
Knowledge / Experience
· The planner/scheduler must be proficient with in-house software SAP, Word processing software, spreadsheet software, electronic mail, etc.
· A high level of planning and organizing skills are required to be proficient in the position. Ability to manage multiple tasks and multiple priorities simultaneously.
· Strong equipment and operational knowledge are necessary. Have adequate craft knowledge to estimate labor hours and materials to visualize the job to be performed.
· Able to read blueprints and shop drawings.
· The planner/scheduler must react quickly to changes in requirements based on their understanding of priorities
· Orientation and commitment to customer service
· High level interpersonal skills are required to negotiate and persuade
· Excellent orals and written communication skills. Ability to create sketches to clarify work order instructions. Skills to conduct meetings
· Analytical and troubleshooting skills
· Ability to understand budgets, cost estimating, and value to business.
· Maintenance management system experience desire
· Computer literate
· Business case justification
· Food Manufacturing experience and knowledge of food safety
· Knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Fort Smith
Job Segment: Engineer, Outside Sales, Electrical, Scheduler, ERP, Engineering, Sales, Administrative, Technology