A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
The packaging operator is responsible and accountable for assuring all finished product is packaged safely and efficiently according to Q&FS standards. The work schedule for this role involves working weekends, which all applicants should consider when applying for positions.
· Comply with all Mars and RC Safety Policies.
· All PPE must be worn in compliance to requirements.
· Enforce and respect the safety rules.
· Stop any equipment if safety is in jeopardy and escalate issue.
· Be an actively engaged Associate regarding Behavior-Based Safety Observations
· Comply with Quality and Food Safety Standards.
· Follow all food safety requirements, rules, and standards (ISO 9001, 22000, Mars Standards, GMP/GHP, HACCP, security, pest control, etc.)
· CCP Metal Detection knowledge and understanding for the packaging area
· Clean and sanitize equipment in accordance to food safety standards.
· Inspect packaging materials to insure conformance to specifications.
· Perform and record quality checks to standards.
· Identify, document, and report any quality nonconformance.
· Establish full knowledge and become qualified for all packaging operations (paper/plastic bag machines, sampling machines, on-process check-weigher, inkjet, labeler, wrappers, palletizers, screeners, scales, quality control, forklift operations, packaging materials, and finished goods).
· Set up and start up packaging machines.
· Operate packaging machines and produce within expected efficiencies for packaging line.
· Stack packaging products in cases/on pallets.
· Monitor packaging machines for safety/quality/output.
· Identify bags/case/pallets according to GMP.
· Perform equipment changeovers - mechanical and control system adjustments.
· Shut down equipment.
· Work closely with extrusion operators to maximize efficiency of production.
· Troubleshoot and perform first level area-related maintenance on equipment and support the move toward MSE Autonomous Maintenance.
· Complete any task as delegated by the site’s Leadership Team (Shift Manager).
· Maintain a safe, organized, and efficient work area in compliance to 5S.
· Perform operational cleanings:
· On shift and end of shift cleanings need to be completed.
· Sanitation cleaning needs to be completed as scheduled and often require extra hours to ensure cleaning is validated effective by Leads/Shift Manager or other Department Heads.
· Operational deep cleanings as designated by Shift Manager or Lead.
· Communicate and report production, deviations, etc. appropriately.
· Provide any requested documentation to other departments according to internal rules.
· Shift changes: Actively engage and communicate with Associates of next shift about machine problems, progress on production schedule, quality issues, etc.
· Complete packaging run sheets and document all production events as required (downtime, quantity, quality checks, metal, etc.) with an understanding that many documents are regulatory-based and must be completed and signed each shift.
· Utilize FMOS boards for hour to hour monitoring of results and raising escalations
· Attend all pre-shift FMOS meetings and actively engage in relevant conversations.
· Actively work on developing oneself and attending all required trainings.
· Develop a personal development plan with your Shift Manager once per year.
· Attend all training programs as scheduled.
· Train others within department as assigned by Shift Manager.
· Work overtime as required.
· Responsibility to be an Engaged Associate.
· Actively have routine constructive conversations within your team around Gallup Q12 wins and opportunities.
· Active involvement and attendance in team Impact Sessions.
· Be responsible to maintain an engaging climate at work and be an active part of the solutions.
Education & Professional Qualification
· High School Diploma or Equivalent minimum
· Experience in food industry and/or manufacturing preferred
· Proficient in English (reading, writing, and verbal communications)
· Full range of motion
· Correctable eyesight and hearing
· Lifting up to 75lbs maximum
· Tolerance to hot and cold environments
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Rolla