A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Job Title: Maintenance Planning Specialist
Hours: Monday-Friday, 7am-3:30pm
The basic purpose of the Maintenance Planning Specialist is to improve equipment reliability while minimizing costs. This is accomplished through sound planning practices which include efficient utilization of labor, parts, and materials, through maintenance work. This position also supports expense projects, capital projects, special projects and internal contractors, vendor services including projects that require Wrigley maintenance resources. This position ensures coordination of all maintenance resources and materials by estimating time, material, and manpower required to effectively complete tasks scheduled or unscheduled within the projects assigned. This position also monitors work schedules to ensure project and maintenance activities are performed in a timely, manner with minimum to no disruption of production schedules.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The position holder expedites the following:
· The planner receives all work orders from the requesting associates, except for unplanned (breakdown) work, and determines that work requested is needed. If the business value of the request is questioned, the work order will be reviewed with operations and the maintenance manager. This includes generating rough cost estimates and potential cost saving estimates by examining tasks to be done and determine the best way to accomplish the work, then consults with requester, area manager, or team leaders when necessary.
Identifies and obtains necessary materials, work instructions, manuals, appropriate tools, etc. to execute the planned work order.
· Plans and schedules preventive maintenance work in coordination with operations and maintenance managers.
· If work contracted to outside vendor, the planner ensures the scope and cost of the work is clearly defined, purchase orders are approved, and equipment will be available for the work performed. Additionally, the planner will ensure the contractor personnel adhere to Mars contractor rules and regulations.
· Analyzes maintenance performance metrics such as: accuracy of work plan estimates (time, labor, and materials), percent work orders awaiting scheduling, schedule compliance, overtime, contracted maintenance costs, overdue work orders, and returned work orders in order to improve work planning and reviews analysis and recommends corrective action with Maintenance Manager.
· Performs other tasks and special assignments as requested by the Maintenance Manager / Team Leader.
DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY, RECOMMENDATIONS AND IMPACT
· The planner makes decisions concerning equipment maintenance; screening work orders, planning how to accomplish work orders evaluating least cost options with minimum risks to product quality, consumer safety, and associate safety; and parts procurement, and determines work priority based on the business and production associated risks
· Planner works with a team of associates to determine plant schedules for production and maintenance that best meets business needs.
· Following maintenance manager guidelines, the planner/scheduler determines effective utilization of vendors to perform equipment repairs.
· Planner is accountable for the following: maximizing production system availability; the cost of downtime per shift; planning and scheduling the maintenance for production assets; facilitating the efficient use of labor, contractor services and parts
· High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
· 3 years of manufacturing experience in a maintenance technical role.
· Detailed knowledge of process equipment and unit operations, packaging equipment, HVAC, Steam and Hot Water Systems, controls, electrical and mechanical systems.
· Successful completion of a certified maintenance apprentice program
· 1 to 3 years of experience in the following categories, maintenance / facilities / machine shop / electrical / PDM or HVAC.
· Equivalent training / experience in a technical career field
Successful completion of a 2-year Associates Degree program in an electrical / mechanical / HVAC career field.
· An EPA Refrigerant Handling License for Facilities Craft Planner.
· Hydraulic and Pneumatic skills
· 1 to 3 years of experience in the use of personal computers and related software including; Excel, Word, Access, and SAP.
· 5 years of experience in the use of personal computers and related software including; Excel, Word, Access, and SAP transactions to produce reports, work orders, update preventive maintenance and equipment master data base.
· The planning specialist must be proficient with SAP, Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook (email).
· Can manage multiple tasks and set priority simultaneously,
· Demonstrated Drive for Results is action oriented, and Customer Focus.
· Demonstrated oral and written communication skills to be able to lead / facilitate meetings and create sketches to clarify work order instructions.
· Strong equipment and operational knowledge is necessary. Have adequate craft knowledge to estimate hours and materials to visualize the job to be performed.
· Able to read blueprints and shop drawings.
· The craft planner must react quickly to changes in requirements based on their understanding of priorities.
· High level interpersonal skills are required to negotiate and persuade.
· Analytical and troubleshooting skills.
· Ability to understand budgets, cost estimating, and value to business
· Minor lifting / carrying of materials (10 - 60 lbs)
· Minor pushing / pulling of carts ( 100 - 300 lbs)
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Chicago
Job Segment: Hydraulics, ERP, Electrical, Outside Sales, SAP, Engineering, Technology, Sales