Financial Controller - Kinship, Wisdom Health
Salary - £54,000 - £67,000 + Bonus + Benefits
Location - Paddington
WHO WE ARE
Kinship, Mars Petcare's newest division, is a hotbed for future innovation, data science and analytics, and at the forefront of emerging technology for pets, pet owners and veterinarians. At Kinship, we move quickly to create a better world for pets. We are optimistic, purposefully inquisitive, open to all, and passionate about what’s possible. We’re a coalition of bright minds, big ideas, and bold businesses united by our love of pets and our enthusiasm for the future.
Part of Mars, Incorporated, a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love, the 85,000 Associates in Mars Petcare are dedicated to one purpose: A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS. With 75 years of experience, our portfolio of almost 50 brands serves the health and nutrition needs of the world’s pets and The WALTHAM Centre for Pet Nutrition has advanced research in the nutrition and health of pets for over 50 years. Mars Petcare is also a leading veterinary health provider through a network of over 2,000 pet hospitals. We’re also active in innovation and technology for pets, with WISDOM PANEL ™ genetic health screening and DNA testing for dogs, the WHISTLE ™ GPS dog tracker, and LEAP VENTURE STUDIO accelerator and COMPANION FUND ™ programs that drive innovation and disruption in the pet care industry.
A BIT ABOUT WISDOM HEALTH
At Wisdom Health we analyze pets’ DNA to provide insights into their breed, ancestry, and to determine whether they are at risk of developing genetically associated diseases. Through our own research and numerous collaborations we are constantly searching for new markers of genetic health and disease to enable personalized nutrition and precision medical care for the life of the pet. Wisdom Health is the global category leader in pet genetics and started its deployment from the US to Europe, before expanding to other markets. It is a fast growth tech enabled start-up selling to pet owners in direct to consumer channel, e-retail, and through veterinarians. At Wisdom Health, one of our differentiators is the efficiency with which we deliver leading-edge products and support to those we serve. We’re proud to set the standard for success in our industry.
HOW YOU’LL CREATE A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS
The Financial Controller will report to the Wisdom CFO. This unique role combines both accounting and finance responsibilities and serves as the company’s primary Finance and Accounting resource for our European markets. The position serves as a trusted business partner and co-pilot to our EU Business Development Lead while also being responsible for all EU financial accounting. This role will establish accounting structure, policies, procedures while also creating business cases for growth opportunities and conducting analyses on topics such as competitive landscape, cost-benefit, return-on-investment, contracts, and product development. The Controller needs the ability to think broadly and strategically as well as tactically and analytically. This is not a roll-up of others work, but rather hands-on, direct business support to the leadership team of Wisdom Health.
You will help create a better world for pets through:
· Your knowledge and attention to detail will help ensure reporting of accurate financial data such as A/P, A/R, cash management, payroll, and other data recorded to the general ledger
· Your leadership of EU financial accounting and control activities will ensure transactions, policies, procedures, and systems help us meet short and long-term financial objectives
· Collaboration with key partners on the US-based Wisdom team, Kinship, and Mars to ensure compliance with requirements and to guide accounting policy and structure
· Using your keen financial insights, you will provide clear and informative reporting to drive better understanding of the business
· Your curiosity and tenacity to drive accounting understanding, improvements, and simplifications to enable our global growth
· Your ability to think strategically and tactically by creating processes and tools to improve our financial planning, budgeting, and analytics capability creates higher value decision support
· Successfully facilitating and resolving internal/external audit inquiries and tax issues
WHO WE NEED TO CHART THE FUTURE OF PET CARE
We strive to hire people who are passionate about our mission: creating a better world for pets. For all of our Kinship roles, we look for candidates who exemplify our attributes through consistent behaviors. We believe what we do is just as important as how we do it, and we aim to hire people who are:
· Optimistic . Those who’s boundlessly energy and enthusiasm for what’s next shines through in everything they do. We seek to work with people who are intrinsically happy, and who will drive our vision and purpose while managing the complexities of our businesses.
· Purposefully Inquisitive . Those who are courageous and use their deep business insights to cultivate innovation . We want the trailblazers in tech. Those who are entrepreneurs at heart, ask the tough questions , adapt quickly to new situations , and analyze data in new ways to push our big ideas forward.
· Open to All . Those who are inclusive leaders , committed to learning, and leveraging our differences as strengths. We hire people who are naturally collaborative and thrive in a flat and flexible organization . Those who are thoughtful communicators, and seek to foster meaningful relationships across our community of diverse partners.
And for this role, we hope you have the following skills we require to round out our team:
· Experienced in accounting and strategic practices specific to the EU market required
· Bachelor’s Degree required in business, accounting, economics, or finance / MBA preferred
· CPA (or EU equivalent) required
· 5-8 years of progressive accounting and finance business partner experience
· Experience with an integrated ERP system required; prior implementation experience a plus
· Accounting experience supporting a fast-paced, high-growth e-commerce business
· Advanced Excel modeling and PowerPoint skill; skilled at building scalable financial models
· Strong financial analysis and planning experience; beneficial experience may include early training in financial services or corporate financial training programs
· Strong understanding of financial modeling, financial forecasting and budgeting, profitability analysis, and analytics for decision support
· Strong ability to translate numbers into compelling and clear narratives
If you also had these experiences, you’d knock it out of the dog park:
· Controller/Finance experience in a start-up, fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous environment
· System experience in Navision and/or SAP By Design (SAP By Design highly preferred)
· Experience supporting a global ecommerce business
· Improving controls environments to make more productive and efficient
· Tax and treasury management or collaboration with these areas
· Finnish accounting and/or tax experience
WHY JOIN US?
We offer our associates a unique opportunity to have a completely customizable career within pet care. Through Kinship you will work with and learn from a community of industry executives, pet partners, entrepreneurs, and fellow associates across our startup investment companies, outside partners, and in Mars Petcare. Our nimble and flexible approach to work allows you to make an immediate impact across businesses, while learning new skills at every stage. The diversity of our work opens doors to big opportunities and unlocks enormous potential for countless career experiences in pet care. Join us in our mission to chart the future of pet care, alongside the industry’s brightest minds.
Kinship’s offices are global, and so are our associates. We are located in NYC, San Francisco, Portland, London, Helsinki, Shanghai, and in Moscow. Many of us flex between our dog-friendly hubs and our home offices. Today, Kinship offers exceptional benefits for you, your family, and your pets, generous paid time off, exponential opportunities to build a career within pet care, and progressive reward packages. Interested? Let’s take big strides, together.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
In return we offer:
• Great career progression
• Range of in-house training opportunities
• Competitive salary, bonus and range of large company benefits
We know it’s important to you to find out as much about us as possible, so following a review of your CV the first stage will be a telephone interview with the hiring manager and a chance for you to ask lots of questions. If successful you will be invited to an interview day in front of our panel. Don’t worry you’ll have plenty of time to prepare.
Closing date: 30th August
To open up a dialogue, please click on the APPLY button below. We look forward to hearing from you!
Job Segment: Accounting, Financial, ERP, Business Development, Finance MBA, Finance, Technology, Sales