A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Financial Analyst External Reporting
The position is responsible for assisting with the preparation of the annual and quarterly U.S. GAAP consolidated financial statements of Mars, Incorporated and its subsidiaries. These responsibilities include collecting, evaluating and analyzing financial information from decentralized Mars business units and other corporate finance functions and the preparation financial statements and documentation to support consolidation adjustments and financial statement footnotes. This position will support the Sr. Manager of External Reporting along with Managers of External Reporting in the continued improvement over quality of data collected from business unit. Improving the end-to-end processes and procedures followed in the preparation of the Company’s financial statements, developing instructions and other communications with business units, and maintaining a detailed calendar for the U.S. GAAP close process. Ensuring all company financial statement and related debt covenant compliance requirements are completed in advance of reporting deadlines.
What are we looking for?
· Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Accounting and licensed CPA.
· 2-4 years of experience in the audit division
· 1-2 years of experience in industry external reporting.
· Experience in working with external auditors and consultants.
· A global mindset and interest. The ability to understand country/region specific differences worldwide from a business and cultural perspective.
· Experience working with consolidation systems.
· Intermediate to advanced level of knowledge in Microsoft Excel and proficiency in other Office products including Word and PowerPoint
What will be your key responsibilities?
· Generating reports from various financial systems to gather data required for preparing the annual and quarterly U.S. GAAP financial statements for Mars Incorporated.
· Assisting with the U.S. GAAP quarterly close process and calendar. This includes assisting with the preparation of financial statements, footnotes, schedules to support the financial statements, audit committee schedules and the variance analysis. Project scheduling and tracking of progress including updating the calendar on a timely basis to track progress and meet deadlines is critical.
· Assist the Sr. Manager of External Reporting and Managers of External Reporting in collaborating with external auditors throughout the year to identify all information needed to facilitate the preparation and audit of the financial statements and to address efficiencies that may be gained in the audit process.
· Assisting with documentation around all processes, procedures and controls related to the U.S. GAAP close and consolidation process.
· Assisting with responses to Business Unit accounting questions and working with Business Units to drive quality and process improvements.
· Assist with special projects for technical accounting and external reporting.
· Work closely with the Technical Accounting group to develop process changes required to meet new accounting guidance as interpreted by the Technical Accounting group. Communication of process changes to decentralized business units on appropriate treatment of transactions for management reporting and U.S. GAAP should be coordinate with the Technical Accounting and Special Projects manager.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Financial, Accounting, Financial Analyst, Corporate Finance, CPA, Finance