A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there's more to being in business than just making a profit. That's the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it's never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It's about how you can grab everything that's within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It's about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we'll all be a little better off. It's that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world's best-loved brands: M&M's®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN'S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
Associate Product Development Scientist
Job Purpose / Overview:
This position is responsible for executing the new product development process from concept to launch with peer and manager support. This role includes translating consumer insights to scalable new products based on robust food science principles. The Associate Product Development Scientist also provides technical leadership on current Factory Processes, technical maintenance activities of the existing portfolio, as well as Value Leadership COGS projects for Raw Materials.
What are we looking for?
Knowledge & Minimum Qualifications
· Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Chemical Engineering or related scientific or technical discipline and relevant intern experience.
· 3 years Knowledge of food science fundamentals and application to the product development process
· Demonstrated capability to manage multiple priorities
· Ability to work effectively in cross functional teams
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Strong presentation Skills
· Fluent level of English required.
What would be your key responsibilities?
· Develop the new and current raw materials specifications, translate the risks assessed in the MRAs into measurable parameters, as well as including the key quality attributes (KQA) defined in the product design.
· Design and develop new prototypes that combine scientific knowledge and consumer insights into product attributes from benchtop through full scale production.
· Collaborates with R&D sub functions and cross functional team members to assist in product expertise required to move ideas through the new product launch process.
· Conduct the validation process for every new specification and deliver feedback to suppliers for both, packaging and raw materials.
· Support the maintenance of Product recipes at the site.
· Hands-on experience to become proficient in prototyping, kitchen lab or pilot plant unit operations. Demonstrate skills required to make all components of finished products and build expertise during factory scale up.
· Gain scientific understanding of confectionery raw materials, their interactions and translation to shelf-stable finished recipes.
· Identify and implement Cost Savings opportunities to achieve yearly company targets.
What can you expect from Mars?
· Support of flexible ways of working
· Opportunity to bring your pet to work
· Commitment to create a safe, healthy and sustainable world for our partners and the communities in which we operate.
· Commitment to make A Better World For Pets™ a world where they’re healthy, happy and welcome
· Commitment to our consumers and focus on positively impacting the planet and the population
If you are interested, apply before March 15 th !
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Job Segment: Scientific, Engineer, Chemical Research, R&D Engineer, Chemical Engineer, Engineering