A mutually rewarding experience.
Work. Realize your ambitions. And realize there’s more to being in business than just making a profit. That’s the Mars philosophy. And the opportunity we offer every one of our Associates. An opportunity to take what you do and make it mean more for you, for those around you and for the planet. What you get here is challenging, interesting work. You get the tools you need to do a great job and you get to have the best possible people on your side to help you do it. And at the same time as getting to find ways to do business better today than we did it yesterday and driving a great career, you also get to build a more enlightened business and drive sustainability.
Because it’s never just about a single person, a single project or a single brand. It’s about how you can grab everything that’s within your reach here and use it to pursue mutual, long-term gain. It’s about having ideas. And ideals. Being prepared to risk failure because the promise of success means we’ll all be a little better off. It’s that mix of integrity and ambition that makes Mars such a special place to work. And why working here is always about more than just a job.
About Mars, Incorporated
Mars is a family-owned business with more than a century of history making diverse products and offering services for people and the pets people love. With almost $35 billion in sales, the company is a global business that produces some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, MARS DRINKS and COCOAVIA®. Mars also provides veterinary health services that include BANFIELD® Pet Hospitals, Blue Pearl®, VCA® and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire its more than 100,000 Associates to create value for all its partners and deliver growth they are proud of every day.
The Accounting Assistant is a critical member of the Financial Operations Team and is responsible for the accounts payable function for various segments of Royal Canin. The primary directive of the Accounting Assistant is to perform accounting and clerical tasks for the maintenance and processing of accounts payable transactions.
· Posting invoices, processing invoice payments, and filing payment support for use in maintaining accounts payable records
· Performing reconciliations of accounts payable transactions
· Checking for accuracy of invoices received against purchase orders and receiving documents
· Checking for accuracy of invoice coding and ensuring proper approval is received
· Keeping track of payment due dates and making payments through appropriate payment methods (i.e. cheque, wire transfer or electronic fund transfer)
· Answering inquiries from suppliers and internal constituents
· Assisting with the period end close process (e.g. processing intercompany postings)
· Resolving invoice discrepancies and issues by communicating with vendors and/or assigned departmental associates
· Tracking associate expenses and processing associate expense reports
· Providing key reporting to internal constituents (e.g. DPO reporting)
· Providing supporting documentation for internal audits
· Updating job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities
· Performing key projects in order to optimize existing accounts payable processes
Education & Professional Qualification
· 3+ years of accounts payable experience with a focus on vendor support
· Minimum high school diploma required
Key Critical Competencies
· Strong listening and communication skills
· Detail oriented with an eye for accuracy
· Strong time management
· Analytic and problem solving skills
· Ability to multi-task and set priorities
· Open to change and willing to learn new skills
Key Technical Knowledge and Skills
· Demonstrated track record of working across an organization to deliver work on time and with high quality
· Ability to establish cross-functional, collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders
· Strong understanding of Excel and financial systems skills including Microsoft Office; Microsoft Navision experience is an asset
· Basic accounting knowledge (e.g. accrued liabilities, operating expenses)
· Self-starter with the ability to perform duties independently; must be able to work in a team environment
· Able to meet deadlines, work in a fast paced environment and multi-task
A criminal records check will be required for this position.
Mars is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. The company is pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
Mars Canada is committed to equity in employment and diversity. Mars Canada will provide an inclusive and barrier free recruitment process to applicants with accessibility needs in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform Mars Canada of your requirements. For more information please review Mars Canada's Accessibility Policy and address any questions about that policy to MarsCanada.Accessibility@effem.com.
Job Segment: Accounts Payable, Accounting, Clerical, Equity, Finance, Administrative