Posting Date Mar 19, 2021
Job Number 21024317
Job Category Food and Beverage & Culinary
Location Portsmouth Marriott Hotel, North Harbour, Hampshire, HAMPSHIRE, United Kingdom VIEW ON MAP
Brand Marriott International, Inc.
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
Marriott International portfolio of brands includes both JW Marriott and Marriott Hotels.
Marriott Hotels , Marriott International’s flagship brand with more than 500 global locations, is advancing the art of hosting so that our guests can travel brilliantly. As a host with Marriott Hotels, you will help keep this promise by delivering premium choices, sophisticated style, and well-crafted details. With your skills and imagination, together we will innovate and reinvent the future of travel.
JW Marriott is part of Marriott International's luxury portfolio and consists of more than 80 beautiful properties in gateway cities and distinctive resort locations around the world. JW believes our associates come first. Because if you’re happy, our guests will be happy. It’s as simple as that. Our hotels offer a work experience unlike any other, where you’ll be part of a community and enjoy a true camaraderie with a diverse group of co-workers. JW creates opportunities for training, development, recognition and most importantly, a place where you can really pursue your passions in a luxury environment. Treating guests exceptionally starts with the way we take care of our associates. That’s The JW Treatment™.
Please note: Interviews will take place in April 2021, for start date around end of April/beginning of May. Interviews will likely be virtual, although we can consider alternatives, if required (maintaining social distancing and other government guidelines).
Explore our very big world
We welcome you to join our global and diverse family. Your positive energy and people-pleasing mindset are an important part of why our guests continue to choose us for their event needs. Every day presents a new opportunity to interact with people from all over the world, giving you new inspiration and perspective.
Rewards for work, benefits for your lifestyle
You’ll be supported in and out of the workplace through:
· Discounts on hotel rooms, gift shop items, food and beverage
· Learning and development opportunities
· Recognition programs
· Wellbeing programs
· Encouraging management
· Team-spirited colleagues
Position responsible for assigned food and beverage/culinary operations. Oversees guest and employee satisfaction, maintaining standards and meeting or exceeding financial goals. The Assistant Food & Beverage Operations Manager will assist the Food & Beverage Operations Manager in leading the hotel banquet, restaurant and bar operations. The individual is responsible for delivering a consistent, high quality if service. Works to continually improve guest and employee satisfaction while maintaining the operating budget.
Leads the Conference and Event service of events and the corresponding staff. Ensures consistency and the highest level of service by training and developing staff and executing the requirements of events based on catering service standards.
Education and Experience
• High school diploma or GED; 3 years experience in the food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
• 2-year degree from an accredited university in Food Service Management, Hotel and Restaurant Management, Hospitality, Business Administration, or related major; 1 year experience in the food and beverage, culinary, or related professional area.
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Assisting in Food and Beverage Operations
• Creates and nurtures a property environment that emphasizes motivation, empowerment, teamwork, continuous improvement and a passion for providing service.
• Provides excellent customer service to all employees.
• Responds quickly and proactively to employee's concerns.
• Uses coaching skills throughout the property.
• Demonstrates self confidence, energy and enthusiasm.
• Motivates and encourages staff to solve guest and employee related concerns.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
• Provides excellent customer service.
• Responds quickly and proactively to guest's concerns.
• Understands the brand's service culture.
• Sets service expectations for all guests internally and externally.
• Takes ownership of a guest complaint/problem until it is resolved or it has been addressed by the appropriate manager or employee.
• Follows up to ensure complaints have been addressed to the guest's satisfaction.
• Develops a relationship with all guests to build repeated clientele internally and externally.
Additional Responsibilities as Assigned
• Complies with all corporate accounting procedures.
• Assists GM as needed with annual Quality audit.
Skills and knowledge
· Effective sales skills to up-sell products and services
· Knowledge of menu planning, food presentation, and banquet and event service operations
· Knowledge of overall hotel operations as they affect department
· Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
· Effective conflict management skills
· Strong customer and associate relation skills
· Good training/facilitator skills
· Strong organizational skills
· Effective decision making skills
· Effective influence skills
· Strong problem-solving skills
· Effective coaching and development skills
· Financial management skills e.g., ability to understand P&L statements, forecasting and scheduling
· Good presentation and platform skills
· Knowledge of purchasing, inventory controls, supplies and equipment
· Ability to effectively manage labor productivity
· Knowledge of governmental regulations and safety standards (OSHA, EPA, ADA, CFC, NFPA)
· Conducts monthly department meetings along-side the F&B Operations Manager.
· Schedules banquet and restaurant staff to forecast and service standards, while maximizing profits.
· Maintains attendance log for banquet and restaurant associates.
· Maintains and enforces established sanitation levels.
· Adheres to and reinforces all standards, policies, and procedures (PPM, Core Deliverables, SOPs, LSOPs, etc.).
· Communicates and executes departmental and hotel emergency procedures and ensures staff are trained in safety procedures.
· Sets a positive example for guest relations.
· Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels; effectively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
· Empowers associates to provide excellent customer service. Ensures associates understand expectations and parameters.
· Observes service behaviors of associates and provides feedback to individuals; continuously strives to improve service performance.
· Reviews comment cards and guest satisfaction results with associates. Participates in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
· Supports a departmental orientation program for associates to receive the appropriate new hire training to successfully perform their job. Ensures associates are cross-trained to support successful daily operations.
Working with Others
Support all co-workers and treat them with dignity and respect.
Handle sensitive issues with employees and/or guests with tact, respect, diplomacy, and confidentiality.
Partner with and assist others to promote an environment of teamwork and achieve common goals.
Develop and maintain positive and productive working relationships with other employees and departments.
Actively listen to and consider the concerns of other employees, responding appropriately and effectively.
Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement
Comply with quality assurance expectations and standards.
Monitor the performance of others to ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards.
Monitor stock of Bar & Banquet supplies to identify needed items and ensure neat and orderly storage, and communicate potential product shortages, or price changes, to manager.
Policies and Procedures
· Follow department/company policies and procedures.
· Protect the privacy and security of guests and coworkers.
· Maintain confidentiality of proprietary materials and information.
· Ensure uniform, nametags, and personal appearance are clean, hygienic, professional and in compliance with company policies and procedures
· Perform other reasonable job duties as requested by Supervisors.
Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire work shift.
Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling, and stooping.
Move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 25 pounds without assistance.
· Performs other related tasks as assigned by management.
· To deputize in the absence of the Food & Beverage Operations Manager for all F&B Operational related matters.
· Complies with Marriott International Hotels Limited Regional Office policies and procedures.
· Working hours as required to do your job but normally not less than 40 hours per week. Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.