Marriott International is the world's largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
Ideal candidate profile
At Marriott, our success is measured by the joy and satisfaction we bring our customers. Much of that success is driven by our ability to provide hotels with technology to allow personalized guest experience, staying at one of our 7,000+ properties, or taking advantage of the amenities offered at one of our 30 brands. We are seeking an individual who can advance our global operation architecture.
This includes extending our property technology architecture to enable associates to deliver guest efficient services through a variety of channels as well as provide cutting edge technology to allow our guests better self-service experiences and to feel at home when away from home.
This individual will collaborate across various domains to determine how best to create global operation solutions and integrate them into the Marriott ecosystem. The ideal candidate will have a strong track record of designing, building, and implementing architectures that are highly scalable, resilient and flexible. This individual will work with architects and delivery leads across the organization to extend and introduce new solution architecture in our global operation domain.
Education and Experience
· Undergraduate degree (Computer Science, Information Systems, or Computer Engineering) or equivalent experience
· 10+ years relevant work experience in software engineering with a focus on distributed business systems and integration
· 6+ years relevant work experience of solution architecture, creating conceptual, logical architecture diagrams, and gaining stakeholder approval
· 8+ years relevant work with Global Operation systems, both associate and guest facing, such PMS, POS or digital experiences
· 3+ years relevant work with building and deploying applications in Cloud environments
· 3+ years of experience in Hospitality or Travel IT
· Broad and deep experience in Cloud, Web, Mobile, API, Microservices, Search, and NoSQL technologies.
· Experience architecting applications that support multi-cloud provider and globally distributed deployments.
· Working Knowledge of Oracle Hospitality product suites (OPERA 5.x, OPERA Cloud, Simphony 2.x, OWS, OCS, OPI)
· Working Knowledge of digital key, spa, golf, concierge and other property systems and integration/interface patterns with other systems
· Ability to manage multiple solutions across multiple projects across different timelines
· Experience authoring IT standards, frameworks and patterns related to the modern application design
· Experience in the deployment of business solutions in Private Cloud, Hybrid Cloud, and On-Prem environments
· Working Knowledge of architecture frameworks such as the Zachman Framework, TOGAF or FEAF
· Demonstrated background in architecting in an Agile-delivery environment, (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, SAFe)
· Passionate learner who actively seeks to learn about new technologies and approaches
· Active in the Open Source Community
· Excellent client/user interaction skills to determine requirements
· Comfortable leading collaborative design work in cross-functional teams
· Working technical knowledge of current systems software, protocols, and standards
· Excellent written and oral communication skills
· Excellent presentation and interpersonal skills
· Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
CORE WORK ACTIVITIES
Defining the Future-State Global Operation Architecture & Supporting Business Projects
· Leads and defines Global Operation projects architecture solutions to enable business objectives, and drive stakeholder alignment and drive detail design
· Leads and defines the global operation systems architecture vision to deliver the next generation property systems and improve their travel experience with Marriott
· Defines solutions and patterns that address property systems integration and standardization
· Leverages short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives and advance the overall global operation integration
· Facilitate data capacity planning, lifecycle, duration, usage requirements, feasibility studies, and other tasks
· Identifies and develops opportunities for reuse, migration, or retirement
Enterprise Planning & Execution
· Development and maintenance of global Operation systems Roadmaps
· Understand and evaluate current and emerging technology products and trends
· Develop re-usable design patterns and best practices that can be leveraged by the enterprise
· Socialize and educate the organization including service providers on design patterns that have been developed
· Develop standard prototypes and architecture artifacts to support projects
· Partner and consult with project teams to enable consistent solution design and implementations aligned to the architecture
· Engage in IT governance activities to promote consistency and solution compliance
Cross-Training, Technology Research, and Proof-of-Concepts
· Obtain training & experience on business functions and technologies outside area of expertise
· Research emerging or existing technologies that may have specific business outcomes
· Conduct proof-of-concepts to determine the feasibility of technologies that could provide business benefits
Building Successful Relationships
· Collaborates with business and IT resources to help advance the global operation systems agenda across the organization
· Acts as a leader and advocate for architecture, including coaching, training, and career development to staff
· Liaises with vendors and Service Providers to select the products or services to enable strategic goals
· Communication - Conveys information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods.
· Leading Through Vision and Values - Keeps the organization's vision and values at the forefront of employee decision making and action.
· Managing Change - Initiates and/or manages the change process and energizes it on an ongoing basis, taking steps to remove barriers or accelerate its pace; serves as role model for how to handle change by maintaining composure and performance level under pressure or when experiencing challenges.
· Problem Solving and Decision Making - Identifies and understands issues, problems, and opportunities; obtains and compares information from different sources to draw conclusions, develops and evaluates alternatives and solutions, solves problems, and chooses a course of action.
· Professional Demeanor - Exhibits behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; makes a good first impression and represents the company in alignment with its values.
· Strategy Development - Develops business plans by exploring and systematically evaluating opportunities with the greatest potential for producing positive results; ensures successful preparation and execution of business plans through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Building a Successful Team - Uses an effective interpersonal style to build a cohesive team; inspires and sustains team cohesion and engagement by focusing the team on its mission and importance to the organization.
· Strategy Execution – Ensures successful execution across of business plans designed to maximize customer satisfaction, profitability, and market share through effective planning, organizing, and on-going evaluation processes.
· Driving for Results - Sets high standards of performance for self and/or others; assumes responsibility for work objectives; initiates, focuses, and monitors the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively takes action and goes beyond what is required.
· Customer Relationships - Develops and sustains relationships based on an understanding of customer/stakeholder needs and actions consistent with the company's service standards.
· Global Mindset - Supports employees and business partners with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; utilizes differences to drive innovation, engagement and enhance business results; and ensures employees are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
· Strategic Partnerships - Develops collaborative relationships with fellow employees and business partners by making them feel valued, appreciated, and included; explores partnership opportunities with other people in and outside the organization; influences and leverages corporate and continental shared services and/or discipline leaders (e.g., HR, Sales & Marketing, Finance, Revenue Management) to achieve objectives; maintains effective external relations with government, business and industry in respective countries; performs effectively as a liaison between locations, disciplines, and corporate to ensure needed resources are received and corporate strategies are understood and executed.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
· Developing Others - Supports the development of other's skills and capabilities so that they can fulfill current or future job/role responsibilities more effectively.
· Organizational Capability - Evaluates and adapts the structure of assignments and work processes to best fit the needs and/or support the goals of an organizational unit.
Learning and Applying Professional Expertise
· Continuous Learning - Actively identifies new areas for learning; regularly creates and takes advantage of learning opportunities; uses newly gained knowledge and skill on the job and learns through their application.
· Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
· Technical Intelligence: Knowledge and ability to define and apply appropriate technology to enhance business process
· Development Methodologies: Knowledge of general stages of SDLC framework and the application tiers within the development space.
· Information Security: Knowledge of the security considerations relevant within the development space, including industry best practices related to information security
· Business Acumen - Understands and utilizes business information to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture. Marriott International does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.